Shrimps dying one by one HELP!

1 hour ago, chappy6107 said:

no prime or any other dechlorinator.  just change out 10 - 20% of the tank water with that ro water.  You will need to get some shrimp remineralizer if you plan to use only ro water.  otherwise you can mix ro water with dechlorinated tap water say 50/50 to get lower tds

So no CONDITIONER needed for the RO water? just pour it straight to the tank?

I just did the PWC with RO water and im getting a TDS of 232. Used to be 370.

Is it best to use only RO water or to mix both 50 RO water and 50 Conditioned tap water?

yes that is correct, no dechlorinator for RO water.  However depending on how much RO water you use will determine if you need to use shrimp remineralizer.  You see RO water has NOTHING in it, no minerals nothing.  Your shrimp need minerals.  So if you do say 50% RO water & 50% tap water, you will probably not need the remineralizer.  If your shrimp keep dying, then you should use 100% RO water that has been remineralized to shrimp needs.

Also do not make big changes in the TDS all at one time.  This will shock the shrimp and kill them.  Probably the reason why they are already dying. (too many changes in a short time span) from point of origin to the seller to you.  Stability is the key

A successful molt does not mean GH level is proper.

After a molt, the shrimp shell is soft and vulnerable. If your GH level is too low, the shrimp will likely be attacked after molting and will die.

A GH level of 4 is definitely way too low for neocaridina.

You would want a GH between 6-8.

If the dechlorinator is raising TDS by 100, you are likely overdosing by a ton or the dechlorinator you're using is straight garbage or you didn't properly mix it into the water.

11 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

yes that is correct, no dechlorinator for RO water.  However depending on how much RO water you use will determine if you need to use shrimp remineralizer.  You see RO water has NOTHING in it, no minerals nothing.  Your shrimp need minerals.  So if you do say 50% RO water & 50% tap water, you will probably not need the remineralizer.  If your shrimp keep dying, then you should use 100% RO water that has been remineralized to shrimp needs.

Also do not make big changes in the TDS all at one time.  This will shock the shrimp and kill them.  Probably the reason why they are already dying. (too many changes in a short time span) from point of origin to the seller to you.  Stability is the key

Thanks for the detailed info! 

11 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

A successful molt does not mean GH level is proper.

After a molt, the shrimp shell is soft and vulnerable. If your GH level is too low, the shrimp will likely be attacked after molting and will die.

A GH level of 4 is definitely way too low for neocaridina.

You would want a GH between 6-8.

If the dechlorinator is raising TDS by 100, you are likely overdosing by a ton or the dechlorinator you're using is straight garbage or you didn't properly mix it into the water.

I know that the GH is too low for Neocaridinas. Any tips on how to raise the GH? i've heard that changing the GH means changing all PH and KH as well? i have not used any solution on the RO water that i just bought.

http://www.theshrimptank.com/water-conditioners/salty-shrimp-shrimp-mineral-gh-kh/

Use a shrimp specific remineralizer.

Changing GH does not mean changing pH and KH as well although in this case, it does.

Bee shrimp remineralizer only changes GH and not KH but since you're keeping neos, a GH/KH solution is better to prevent pH swings.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:00 PM, joeyb347 said:

Post your parameters tomorrow! :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

On 6/6/2017 at 7:02 AM, chappy6107 said:

some of aquatic arts shrimp are imported.  This by itself could be your problem.  It is not impossible, but imported shrimp tend to be more stressed due to the constant moving from one place to another with different water parameters.  It is best to find some that are U.S. bred.

post your #'s when you get your test kit & TDS meter.

Just tested the water. Nitrite is 0 ppm and Nitrate is 2 ppm. is that good?

3 hours ago, joeyb347 said:

Great! Whats amonia?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

what is the ammonia,

also what test kit did you use to get the nitrate reading of 2?

Ammonia is 0 ppm.

The color was in between 0 and 5 ppm so i assume it was 2 lol. 

Are my water parameters good for shrimps?

3 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

http://www.theshrimptank.com/water-conditioners/salty-shrimp-shrimp-mineral-gh-kh/

Use a shrimp specific remineralizer.

Changing GH does not mean changing pH and KH as well although in this case, it does.

Bee shrimp remineralizer only changes GH and not KH but since you're keeping neos, a GH/KH solution is better to prevent pH swings.

ok just purchased one of those remineralizer that you recommend. Thanks for recommending it! Have you used it before?

Instruction says  " to reach a total hardness of about 6 GH and/or a conductance of about 300 +/- 50 uS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres of water is sufficient.
Measuring spoon enclosed."

Since im always changing only 25% of the tank water (2.5 gallons of it). im only going to add one full spoon of the remineralizer to the new water?

4 hours ago, RAquatics said:

ok just purchased one of those remineralizer that you recommend. Thanks for recommending it! Have you used it before?

Instruction says  " to reach a total hardness of about 6 GH and/or a conductance of about 300 +/- 50 uS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres of water is sufficient.
Measuring spoon enclosed."

Since im always changing only 25% of the tank water (2.5 gallons of it). im only going to add one full spoon of the remineralizer to the new water?

I use both SS GH/KH+ and SS GH+

SS GH+ for caridina shrimp and SS GH/KH+ for neocaridina shrimp

I don't measure by spoon but rather by TDS. My rodi water is 0 TDS and I add enough SS GH/KH+ until it reaches 200 TDS which is roughly 8 GH and 4 KH.

3 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

I use both SS GH/KH+ and SS GH+

SS GH+ for caridina shrimp and SS GH/KH+ for neocaridina shrimp

I don't measure by spoon but rather by TDS. My rodi water is 0 TDS and I add enough SS GH/KH+ until it reaches 200 TDS which is roughly 8 GH and 4 KH.

this ^^

once you mix the ro water & SS.  test for GH/KH.  when it is where you want it, then measure the TDS.  From that point on you can just measure the TDS to the same specs and know you have the same GH/KH.

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread! Have been doing a couple PWC with RO water this past week and the TDS is now 170. with a GH of 5 after using the salty shrimp minerals! All of my shrimps are now healthy and never have i seen any deaths after adjusting the water parameters :)