Activity on this forum?

Cazpuh

There are not a lot of American forums dedicated exclusively to shrimp.

There are active global forums, particularly focused in Germany. There is another popular Australian forum and a popular Singapore forum.

There are more active forums that aren't shrimp-focused. Plantedtank has a lot of shrimpers

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There are quite a number of experienced shrimpers on this forum including Award winning people.  In the last year and a half I have learned much from these folks both from questions asked on the forum and by personal PMs. Summer here in the USA seems to have less activity as people are on vacation,weddings, family gatherings, ect..  I'll PM people as they will get notifications and generally get back to me in a couple of days. I also look to see whose online and PM them immediately.  Archives are a wealth of knowledge but you have to work at it vs. instant gratification with no effort involved. WWW is also your go to source with options immediately available.

Unfortunately the forum isn't as active as it used to be.  I have been super busy lately and haven't been able to spend as much time on here as I would like to.

Like dazalea said, I've seen lots of advice given out by whom I would consider pros in the hobby. Just ask your question. But the archives is where the real information is at. Almost anything you want to know can by found by searching the forums. Just now I wanted to know the difference between Royal Blue Tigers and BTOE and I found the answer by using the search feature. 

As a fish hobby forum owner (www.minnfish.com), I can tell you that traffic in summer drops significantly. The hobby in Minnesota almost shuts down, and it's much harder to sell livestock. But, fall comes around and it ramps back up. Traffic usually maxes out around January/February, which makes a ton of sense considering Minnesota weather. 

TBH I've purposely reduced my activity on most forums. When I was active I always ended up with a sour taste after dealing with kids with 5k posts and only a few months membership taking any and every thread they could off topic to yell at you for your stocking/cycling, or mods that seemed more interested in winning debates and then browbeating you with mod powers when they were wrong. 

More of my activity go towards facebook where I can interact with my direct friends that I know IRL. Just makes for less polarizing discussion when you literally see ppl face to face regularly.

this forum specifically is a great place to learn and share.  There is very little of "dealing with kids with 5k posts and only a few months membership taking any and every thread they could off topic to yell at you for your stocking/cycling".  

I do like facebook, but not for forum style group.  I much prefer this type of forum setting.

41 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

There is very little of "dealing with kids with 5k posts and only a few months membership taking any and every thread they could off topic to yell at you for your stocking/cycling".  

Yeah, I think possibly it's a lot better here for that. It's really the big big all inclusive forums that have that problem. But I think that's an inevitable problem of having much larger member/visitor base. The problems I referenced were really experiences I had at Plantedtank and Fishlore, which are regular results on google when I look for anything fish related. By the time I found this forum, I'd already thrown in the towel.

Sorry if my first post wasn't exactly the best addressing this specific forum's activity, but in response to others talking about forum experiences:

It seems that the internet was getting pretty organized along some rational lines a few years back:
-Information webpages/wikis for reference
-Forums for discussion
-chat for quick interaction(IRC)

Then it all kinda went to hell.
Reddit has r/shrimptank, for example, but there is almost zero information
Facebook has groups, but they fall somewhere between forum/chat. Plus navigation is a mess
Some forums got too big and suffered from problems detailed by FishRFriendz. The community became its own worst enemy. Even wikipedia has this issue.

The people who are willing and able to contribute lengthy and complex information(be it correct or not) on topics are typically not the best at handling conflict. However, if you lack people contributing detailed information then it becomes a worthless webpage. A catch-22. 

• 2 weeks later...