Hi shrimpers, I have a question that we may be able to answer today. What line are these high level breeders in Asia getting metallic shrimp from? I have seen metallic purple king kong on a facebook page. It was a video and it was literally a black king kong with a metallic purple upper body area. To be fair it was more metallic silver than purple but it was purple none the less. Someone in the comments claimed there was a whole tank full at one point in a Hong Kong shrimp store. I have also seen the metallic blue boa, imagine a very high grade black galaxy pinto with metallic light blue markings instead of white. Those I found on a very popular shrimp store website, also located in Asia.

My question is where do these shrimp breeders pull the metallic trait from? Have they shared their secrets yet? Am I just ridiculous for asking this and everyone already knows how? I can probably find the pictures of the shrimp I do not know what is allowed or not so I figured I would wait until it was requested. Thanks

Last time we were in Taiwan (3yrs ago) we were shown a tank for of purple bkk and purple nanacy pintos.  just like any other color shrimp we have its all about selective breeding over years to develop the color/pattern.  I also believe there are a few German breeders who have tanks of purple bkk.

5 hours ago, bostoneric said:

Last time we were in Taiwan (3yrs ago) we were shown a tank for of purple bkk and purple nanacy pintos.  just like any other color shrimp we have its all about selective breeding over years to develop the color/pattern.  I also believe there are a few German breeders who have tanks of purple bkk.

Wow you have seen these with your very eyes I am jealous. I understand how they have improved them I am curious where the actual metallic gene is found. I am guessing black king kong but I have never actually seen any confirmation. Thank you for coming with a first hand experience.

On 6/19/2017 at 9:02 PM, schleppey said:

Wow you have seen these with your very eyes I am jealous. I understand how they have improved them I am curious where the actual metallic gene is found. I am guessing black king kong but I have never actually seen any confirmation. Thank you for coming with a first hand experience.

not sure what you mean by metallic gene... but just shared a video from Tina Benneker (germany) on my timeline on FB.

Edited by bostoneric

Those look very similar to what I am talking about, here is one of the videos from the facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/usashrimps/permalink/1339246132823822/

When they get the camera in there on the right shrimp you can see the colors I was talking about. I am sure you have seen it before.

Also here is another "metallic" gene someone has. I do not know if they are the same kind of metallic or anything all I know is I am seeing some interesting shrimp.

1 hour ago, bostoneric said:

not sure what you mean by metallic gene... but just shared a video from Tina Benneker (germany) on my timeline on FB.

woops forgot to quote you

• 2 months later...

I see a pair from a video too https://www.facebook.com/groups/AllThingsShrimp/permalink/732691660259484/

maybe need to join the group, but i am agree and still believe they just come  from selective breed. maybe on next year they will widely available on markets, so get ready with some fund from your pocket or if you have shrimp like them, congrats and then you're ready to join the new trend ;)