Caridina In the Wild! (Shrimpers Travel Guide)

ddd_sss

Hi Everyone at TSS!

So early this year I had the opportunity to travel to Hong Kong, the one thing I was super excited about? It's where Caridina Cantonensis comes from, or at least one of the few places that they are native to!

Through some deep online research I found a place that is quite accessible to pedestrians if you guys ever happen to be in Hong Kong!

The area is called Tai Tam, It is essentially a large water reservoir encompassed by a nature park with nice hiking trails. The hiking trails are paved so it is an easy walk. If hiking isn't your thing you gotta stop by Tung Choi Street or "Goldfish Street" there are a few specialty shrimp shops that have the most insane selections you've ever seen!

IMG_9800.JPG.f48885b43cccffb5d2ba893c4e2b9c84.JPG

The reservoir branches off into little estuaries and shallow streams, THE HABITAT OF THE SHRIMPS! I wasn't able to catch any photos of the shrimps in the shallow streams however, there is definitely an abundance of them! The ones that I could see had differing patterns of white/black striped, white/orange, clear/orange, clear/striped

59518d550d4aa_IMG_76832.JPG.ba450b8b12164fde88bba5ddd941dae5.JPGIMG_7677.JPG.0c0e5a7905df50e12c74ec2c267751ac.JPG

Awesome!! Would have been cool to see some pics of them in their natural habitat!! I have a friend in Hawaii that has caught some wild type neos from the river(they're invasive). Wish I lived near a body of water where I can just catch shrimp hehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, ohmiko said:

Awesome!! Would have been cool to see some pics of them in their natural habitat!! I have a friend in Hawaii that has caught some wild type neos from the river(they're invasive). Wish I lived near a body of water where I can just catch shrimp hehehe

Me too! I wish I had my GoPro, the shallow streams they were in were filled with leaf litter, in the shade etc and as you can imagine I just got pictures of dark puddles....hahaha

8 hours ago, NotKelly said:

that's so cool. i'm definitely crazy enough to fly to hong kong just to see my little shrimp buddies in the wild LOL!

A trip to Hong Kong would definitely be worth it just to see the shrimp! Just don't forget all the good food and sightseeing! Hahaha

I just says chrislukhaup Videos online of cbs and galaxy tiger in the wild! So cool

40 minutes ago, ohmiko said:

I just says chrislukhaup Videos online of cbs and galaxy tiger in the wild! So cool

That was actually what taught me they are from Hong Kong! Hahaha then I did a little more research and found them! I should change my username to theShrimpstalker hahahha

LOL

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Everyone at TSS!

So early this year I had the opportunity to travel to Hong Kong, the one thing I was super excited about? It's where Caridina Cantonensis comes from, or at least one of the few places that they are native to!

Through some deep online research I found a place that is quite accessible to pedestrians if you guys ever happen to be in Hong Kong!

The area is called Tai Tam, It is essentially a large water reservoir encompassed by a nature park with nice hiking trails. The hiking trails are paved so it is an easy walk. If hiking isn't your thing you gotta stop by Tung Choi Street or "Goldfish Street" there are a few specialty shrimp shops that have the most insane selections you've ever seen!
IMG_9800.JPG.f48885b43cccffb5d2ba893c4e2b9c84.JPG

The reservoir branches off into little estuaries and shallow streams, THE HABITAT OF THE SHRIMPS! I wasn't able to catch any photos of the shrimps in the shallow streams however, there is definitely an abundance of them! The ones that I could see had differing patterns of white/black striped, white/orange, clear/orange, clear/striped
59518d550d4aa_IMG_76832.JPG.ba450b8b12164fde88bba5ddd941dae5.JPGIMG_7677.JPG.0c0e5a7905df50e12c74ec2c267751ac.JPG

The streams are not polluted?