Hello everyone!

sfsam

So I'm new to shrimp, I'd wanted them for quite a long while and after my most recent move a couple years back, when I got back settled I of course went back to my standard fish keeping in planted tanks with intentions on going with a more aquascape focused route to narrow my choices a bit. Failed of course in maintaining a specific direction and in the past 8-9 months have set up another batch of tanks all with new projects and a big build (for me) nearing completion. With all my new ideas in full swing and healthy I had my first and longest running since the move tank have a case of diatoms I just could not kick for anything. Finally broke down, figured why not take on another project I've been thinking about and took the dive into the shrimp realm.

I've researched and Googled and read many articles over the past few years as I entertained the idea so I knew in general what I wanted to do. Easy, hardy and willing to breed.... RCS of course.

I ordered myself a breeder package of some Fire Red Sakuras, and was quite impressed with the quality I received as well as their health in arrival. Over the past couple months I've lost 4-5 and all in that first week or ten days and I attributed it to the fact that I had shrimp and fish and put everyone in QT together and the fish were ill. Expensive fish got treated much to the dismay of the shrimp but for the most part everyone lived. I also nabbed some Amanos to disperse through other tanks once they had grown out.

Now I sit waiting on someone platy fry to grow out a week or so more, a lid for another tank to arrive, and nearly all the Amanos will be off to permanent homes, few more weeks and the big build is complete and the remainder land in their home.

Little did I know just how easy it would be to successfully get the RCS to breed. I had three berried females within a couple weeks and one hatch went solo last weekend and I see I already have another berried female keeping me at three and two to hatch in the next 10-14 days. Eek!

So I'm here. Hoping to learn culling methods and after I settle some projects some tips to improve my line. Ultimately I'm SOOOooo SOOOooo rural we don't get shrimp here, ever. So I'd like to sell or donate culls to the lfs until my culls are of decent quality to sell. I'll still keep them locally as weather is too extreme to ship most of the time. But maybe it can help me fund my little pet project.

I'm sure to ask exceptionally noobish questions, and make silly assumptions and mistakes from all my years with fish. But I welcome the critiques, the criticisms and even the harsh truths that I'm sure I've overlooked.

And here's a quick video of the tank. It's really not tinted water I've no idea why the video shows it as such! Poor lighting and video skills I'm sure.

And a couple photos starting with the most recent and back through a few design attempts I tried before settling on the current, and of course a couple shrimp shots. 0c3b7d5d75f7ef93552d6805efbbfa65.jpgf90facc793444378ede744ec4b5e31bf.jpgfbfc5988eefeeb1cf9925465199f5873.jpgbb2eb8a5087e59074f4582c72e66db4b.jpgd58bddeddf8bdddba0580d74edc2fef1.jpgef320bac6ce79a25a198f2441484f2c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welcome, awesome to have you join our community. Here you will get the do's and don'ts. Very nice video and pictures of your RCS. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask, use the search bar up top to search for any questions you may have, it may have been answered before.

United We Shrimp!

Can anyone confirm if these guys are worth starting a line? I'm not looking for ultra high quality just yet, just stock that will at least somewhat consistently produce definitively red offspring? As I get further into the project I'll be able to add to the line with higher quality reds but for now I'm hoping to mostly get some experience in and learn a bit before I go out and get spendy shrimps.
I've no idea really how to grade them other than what they were sold as. But even my males seem to have almost entirely red coloring. A bit of transparent spots on the bottom of the tail on a couple but several are red all the way through and the females are all solid enough that I cannot see a saddle in them, except one, she gets a tiny yellow line across her shoulders that's pretty easy to miss.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk