Experienced Keeper Advice Please

So I'm a newbie. But I do, do lots of research before jumping in. My first attempt at shrimp where with some neo culls. It was going pretty well! But I had an infestation of pond snails and thought it'd be a grand idea to get some Assassin snails to take care of the issue. HORRIBLE idea. The Assassins ate my shrimp and IGNORED the pond snails. Pissed off is an understatement. Sooo take two will be a MUCH cheeper plan to get my feet wet again. I am going with a colony of ghost shrimp. As long as I can keep them alive and happy I have a new project in the works.

The tank I am doing my "testing" in is a 40 gal show tank. It is tiled and very heavily planted. It also has Texas Holey Limestone in it to help up the PH (it will eventually be a home for an Axolotl). My water KH and GH is normally 2. My PH runs at 6.5 (the test does not go lower). I actually want to start up a 10 gal shrimp tank for just shrimp. It will be planted of course. Mosses and easy plants mostly. It will be a show tank (because I like pretty). For this tank I am thinking gravel of some kind. It will have a hob filter with my own blend of media. Including filter floss, Poly Filter, and ceramic rings. And I supplement the shrimp with a high quality shrimp food.

Now I've done lots of research and reading and talking to others. And quite frankly my head hurts, lol. Honestly at this point I'd prefer a shrimp suited to my water. Something I can breed without too much difficulty. I'd like to not to have to worry about adjusting the PH, KH, and GH. EVERYONE says Neos for beginners though. I'd need to adjust everything to make it harder then. Please. Can someone point me in the right direction. I have a preference for shrimp that are NOT red, orange, brown, and yellow. If it can't be avoided and I need to adjust my water and go with a neo. It will probably be a Rili. And if that is the case can someone please recommend a gravel like substrate to help with the GH and KH please. Thanks for your help in advance. My very confused brain is appreciative. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Your GH is way too low. I recommend a GH between 6-8. It's highly likely that your shrimps are dying due to unsuccessful molt from the low GH and the assassin snails are just eating the dead ones. They also prefer a pH above 7. You would need a remineralizer to increase your GH.

Ah no in my 40 gal show tank with the Limestone GH is 6. Sorry didn't make that clear. I do have that upped. Out of the tap our water is just low in general. I was debating on whether or not to stick with Neos and up my GH again or go with something that prefers a lower GH. I do think the Assassins took advantage of the situation when the shrimp where molting though. The little guys where very active and swimming around quite happily. There was one I named Spaz because he would swim into the bubbler on purpose ride it for a while then pop out swim in circles then rinse and repeat. Lol, the little guy was crazy. RIP Spaz. I also provide food with minimals in it. Or well did. And poached spinach too. Plus IAL. If there was something else I could have done please let me know!

Using limestone for GH isn't a stable method of maintaining GH.

Every time you do a water change, GH will drop and the limestone will slowly increase. 

Also doesn't limestone increase KH?

You said your pH runs at 6.5 but could be lower. If you have a KH of 2, there's likely too much waste in your tank lowering the pH.

Neocaridinas don't do well under 7.0 pH

Using limestone for GH isn't a stable method of maintaining GH.

Every time you do a water change, GH will drop and the limestone will slowly increase. 

Also doesn't limestone increase KH?

You said your pH runs at 6.5 but could be lower. If you have a KH of 2, there's likely too much waste in your tank lowering the pH.

Neocaridinas don't do well under 7.0 pH

I have a bunch of driftwood in there. That might be it. Though I am just now getting the new plants to stop shedding everywhere. Also the water I add to the tank sits in a bucket with limestone and shells before it's added to the tank so that the added water is also upped.

I have a bunch of driftwood in there. That might be it. Though I am just now getting the new plants to stop shedding everywhere. Also the water I add to the tank sits in a bucket with limestone and shells before it's added to the tank so that the added water is also upped.

Ah and the PH is 7 in there.

my opinion is that you have too many uppers and downers in the tank to keep a consistent ph.   the driftwood brings ph down and the holey rock brings it up.  I know many cichlid fish keepers that use the holey rock to increase their ph to the high 7's/ low 8's.  and many south american apistogramma keepers that use the driftwood to lower their ph.

Right. This I understand. I don't like fooling with the levels. I would prefer to keep shrimp who are better with my soft acidic water than trying to mess with it. I don't want to use chemical uppers and downers. But everyone says to go with Neos for newbies. I guess I'm asking is there a shrimp that is a bit easier for a newbie but still prefers the acidic water conditions I naturally have here? Maybe I should just keep testing and find some way to up my water so I can get Neos to start with. Lol, just seems more complicated than finding something that already prefers what I have naturally. I don't know. It's a bit frustrating trying to figure this out. I am just going to keep researching and testing with ghost shrimp right now.
* Oh and I did find two of my Neos! Once I sold and removed the Assassins, they came out. They are doing well so far. Nice coloring and active. We'll see how they fair.

I get it.  you dont want to mess with water parameters.  however, what I am saying is that your tank having uppers & downers already in it may make it harder to keep anything in the long run due to the constant battle in the ph.

If you still have some neos, doing well, I would try more of them.  

if you dont want to monitor the parameters I would stay far away from most of the colorful shrimp (crs, cbs, bolts, tibees, tigers, etc)  neos are your best bet.  but they (even being hardy) need attention with water parameters to be a happy colony.  Kind of like buying an Alaskan Elk Hound to keep in your back yard in Texas.  It will live but it will not be very happy.

Lol, thanks I get it. I don't mind testing. I would just like it to stay put. That may be my doing with so much going on in the tank. I'm just not a fan of guess and test over and over again and still not get it right. And I'm coming to find out that is all part of keeping shrimp. Lol, I guess I'm just being impatient. And wanting things in there that may not be good for the water. Back to the drawing board. Is there a gravel like substrate you'd recommend for Neos that should help balance things out. I'm in the States.

This thread is a great example why RO water + a quality shrimp remineralizer is so heavily recommended.   Make things easier on yourself and follow a well-proven method!

Lol, yes I am seeing that. I didn't realize keeping shrimp would be such a big thing to figure out. RO and shrimp remineralizer seemed like the more complicated option. However I think it is quite possibly the best idea ever! I have some sturdier shrimp in my 40 (ghost and amino) that are doing well. I'll keep testing and keeping an eye on that one. Sun I have rumors on FB saying Petco will be having it's $1 per gallon sale. So I am going to pick up a MUCH smaller tank and try Neos again. This time I'll start off right ;)

On 7/6/2017 at 5:09 PM, SweetPeaGR said:

Is there a gravel like substrate you'd recommend for Neos that should help balance things out. I'm in the States.

I use a sand like substrate called black diamond blasting sand.  I get it from tractor supply $8 for a 50lb bag

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-medium-blasting-abrasives