No filter no bubbler shrimp in a jar

I've heard of lots of people on the internet having great success with shrimp and plants in a jar by the window and they do nothing for a year and the shrimp are happy campers.  I have a 2 gallon anchor hocking jar that I want to put on my desk by the window.  I want to get some of that fluval shrimp substrate and some plants, cycle for 2 weeks and try it out with no filter and no bubbler.  I will try with Fire Red Cherry shrimps.  I have gone the other high tech route with my 50 gallon tank and tons of high tech filters, but I really want to try this way out.  Has anyone here ever done this?

Thanks!

Jordan

Hey Jordan glad to have you aboard.  The only thing I can tell you is that natural light even through a window will produce lots of algae on the glass and eventually cover the entire glass.  Other then that Happy Shrimping.

You should look in to opae ula, or better known as "hawaiian red shrimp" they can be bought in little pre-assembled sealed eco systems (no pump or circulation) and you just give them some sunlight to develop algae and micro organisms for food. Mine lasted for 10 years so far. Just be warned, you need to top off with distilled water every so often since they are brackish and you have to keep the salinity consistent.