Couple of cycling questions

Hey, ive been a member for sometime, but i have never posted before lol, well im cycling my setup which is a 20 long with sl aqua nature soil, and straight RO water its been going with my 4 sponge filters for about 5 days now and i only have 0.25ppm of ammonia, is this normal? I even dumped some fish flakes in there with a sample of sl aqua magic powder and like 5 squirts of tm-1 in on day one, the flakes seem to be not breaking down either, im confused, ive swished the substrate and everything, I've been testing since day one and the most ive gotten is 0.25ppm, does it take longer for ammonia to show up with straight RO water? I've never cycled before (want to do it right this time) and im just so lost.

When you're using food to cycle, it will take some time for the food to break down into ammonia and harder to judge how much food to use, vs. using something like Dr. Tim's ammonia drops which I prefer since its immediate and predictable. I suggest the drops and if you want to continue using food you'll just have to be patient and keep tossing in some food every few days. Much messier process as you can see =)

You ideally want about 3.0 - 4.0ppm of ammonia throughout the cycle (hence needing to "feed").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ibebian said:

When you're using food to cycle, it will take some time for the food to break down into ammonia and harder to judge how much food to use, vs. using something like Dr. Tim's ammonia drops which I prefer since its immediate and predictable. I suggest the drops and if you want to continue using food you'll just have to be patient and keep tossing in some food every few days. Much messier process as you can see =)

You ideally want about 3.0 - 4.0ppm of ammonia throughout the cycle (hence needing to "feed").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, thanks, i was thinking the substrate was going to leech a lot of ammonia, but i guess it isnt going to leech much.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 0:16 PM, Royboy808 said:

Alright, thanks, i was thinking the substrate was going to leech a lot of ammonia, but i guess it isnt going to leech much.

I dont think the sl aqua leeches much if any at all.  some of the others like amazonia leech a lot of ammonia.

• 2 weeks later...