Help with Davidi Shrimp

Hi guys :)

my name is Mauro and i'm from Italy. Sorry for my bad English, try to understand me pls.

I'm not new with shrimp keeping, have about 4.000 liters of water only for shrimp, i successfully breed all Cantonensis Mariae shrimp like CRS, CBS, Pinto and all other type but i really suck with Davidi... 

I dont understand where the problem is.

This is my setup:

-40 litres tank

-Undergravel filter

-sponge filter

-water about 450/500 us RO water and Dennerle gh/kh+ salt

- volcanic stone and glass ring as filter media

- inert soil 

At the beginning everything is fine but the reproductions are few and the babies die or grow very slowly...

Help me pls.

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

Parameters are: 

kh: 3

Gh 11

No2 0

No3 5

Ph 7.8

I keep yellow neon, blue dream and bloody mary. Not in the same tank but the parameters are the same.

Today i see a blue dream with moulting problems, how is it possible with Gh 11?

Hows the tds and ammonia? The temperature of the tank? Im kinda new to the hobby, but from what i understand if your gh and kh are too high, it could cause the water parameters to be unstable. Are you using RO water with remineralizer?

Yes knowing tds, temp, and ammonia is very important. Not quite sure about use of volcanic stone as a filter media but maybe someone else can comment on that part. What is your lighting schedule. Also what do you mean 450 500 us ro water? How often, what , and how do you feed them also how often and how much water change do you do?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hi Mauro. I would lower the PH to around 6.8-7.2 and the GH at around 7-8 tops. KH looks good but the NO3 is high as well. I would do a 25% to 30% water change. If you decide to use a little more acidic water in your change to drop PH as well I would do a slow drip over several hours and place the tubing where there is the most water flow to disperse it better in the tank.,,,,Mike

Thanks guys, water parameters are on the 1° post.

I change water yesterday, a big WC, about 50%, today No3 are at the same level... Inside the tank (60L) i have only a Microsorum, Ceratophillum and some floating plants. Dont understand why... 

No problem for Gh and Ph i can manage them.

In another 30L tank i have about 0 No3, and the water are the same as the conduction.

Maybe the thickness of the substrate? 

When you say inert soil I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Soil to me is an organic material like in a garden.  I hoping you meant an inert substrate like sand or gravel.  By the way your English is much better then the three years of French I took in school !  :bow:

How long was this tank set up? Maybe the tank is going through a cycle? The nitrate has to come from somewhere if its at the same level after a large 50% water change.... I would figure out the ammonia levels and test for nitrite again, to see if its cycling.

19 hours ago, oem said:

When you say inert soil I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Soil to me is an organic material like in a garden.  I hoping you meant an inert substrate like sand or gravel.  By the way your English is much better then the three years of French I took in school !  :bow:

Yes sorry, inert substrate :)

17 hours ago, Royboy808 said:

How long was this tank set up? Maybe the tank is going through a cycle? The nitrate has to come from somewhere if its at the same level after a large 50% water change.... I would figure out the ammonia levels and test for nitrite again, to see if its cycling.

1 month, tested  today, ammonia 0 No2 0  No3 at the top of the scale...

Nothing about substrate tickness and undergravel filter? Maybe the substrate be too thin?

Maybe if your substrate is on the thin side there might not be enough beneficial bacteria to clean out your nitrates and ammonia as the UGF pulls water thru it.  The only tank I have left with an UGF has about 1 1/4" (3cm) of gravel on top.  Just taking a guess.  Or maybe your test kit is off as I have had that happen as well.

TDS should be 200-300 for RO remineralized :)GH too high or too low can cause molting problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, oem said:

Maybe if your substrate is on the thin side there might not be enough beneficial bacteria to clean out your nitrates and ammonia as the UGF pulls water thru it.  The only tank I have left with an UGF has about 1 1/4" (3cm) of gravel on top.  Just taking a guess.  Or maybe your test kit is off as I have had that happen as well.

I think this is the problem. A good substrate height for UGF? 3cm?

On 7/13/2017 at 1:02 PM, Mauro said:

I think this is the problem. A good substrate height for UGF? 3cm?

For me 3-4 cm (1.25" - 1.5")has worked with the UGF in the old days when I only had fish.  I still have one shrimp tank with that type of filter, but have switched over to HMF or other sponge filters in the rest.  Purigen will help if you put in in a hang on filter, but I don't believe it addresses the real cause of the high ammonia level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I keep the red cherry shrimp

I have two tank and one of them made from cement

The glass community didn't grow well but the cement community reproduce and grow pretty fast !

Maybe the your TDS or GH is not fit them ?