Shrimpo-ponics

Shrimpo

Hi Shrimpers! I just came back to the hobby after a long break,

I keep some herbs outdoor in large containers such as Rosemary, Basil, Mint, Oregano...but I want to have few clippings continue to grow indoor during winter time, therefore I thought of having seedling starter tray above my shrimp tank that gets aquarium water through water capillary action, the tray will have a 7" dome with adjustable vents to reduce evaporation.

20170709_132800.jpg

20170709_133321.jpg

1 minute ago, Shrimpo said:

How did you set it up? which herbs are best candidates to grow hydroponically? 

I built the frame from quarter inch plywood i got at home depot. The grow bed I bought a food grade plastic food service tray. The "Growbed" is basically an oversized overhead sump which i filled with hydroton clay pellets. I have photos in my post that show the setup.

I also grow herbs and veggies aquaponically and hydroponically....so from my experience the easiest herbs to propagate into a system is definitely basil and mint. They are both just cut and plant, once the basil cutting is in the water, it will root in a couple of days. It also grows quite quickly.

Are you providing light to the plants?

Water is lifted upward nicely , the actual tray with large holding cells is on the way, the one in these pictures is just for testing purpose.

The cells will have Grow-stone Hydrostones as a media for the herbs roots, I tested the water capillary action with these stones the other day in a cup 20% full of water and about 90%  of the stones were wet which is great.

20170709_131416.jpg

20170709_131700.jpg

20170709_143509.jpg

1 minute ago, Shrimpo said:

Yes, 1 light for the shrimp and 1 for the plants, 12 hours on a timer.

Awesome! Rosemary is also another easy plant for propagating!, basically any stem herb will propagate and grow easily

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome project! I have had multiple aquaponics setups in my career. I have mostly used goldfish due to their nice price/upkeep/bioload ratio. I've considered shrimp but their bioload is so small it never seemed worth it. Plus, I do my aquaponics tanks "down and dirty," but like to keep shrimp tanks more pristine, so I've never wanted to combine the too. I'm not familiar with using capillary action as a water vehicle. I like bell siphons to get a wet/dry environment, but this just might work! Very interested in your progress!