Red shrimps from chocolate line

Hello everyone,

A simple question- are the reds from a chocolate line Ok to mix with red cherries, or should the chocolate reds be kept with just the chocolates?  My chocolate reds look much like regular cherries, but I understand the genetics may be very different.

Thank you for your comments.

Auratus

reds from chocolate are to be assumed bloody mary *red tissue/transparent rich red not red opaque shell* But then it can beg to differ the genetic of the chocolate could have cherry in its genetic depending on if its pure chocolate or a mutt :o) 

I did a little digging and it sounds like some breeders have intentionally mixed the two to create a vibrant red line ("Savage Reds" bred by Lindsay Savage many years back). 
So if you do breed the two, you will still get red shrimp although they won't look exactly like BMs or RCS.

That said, anything coming out of the chocolate line is notorious for not breeding true. I don't know if your BM could carry a chocolate genotype and pass that on to the offspring when crossed to RCS

I think you should do it and report on the results :P

Thanks folks. My reds from the chocolates look much like regular cherries and not translucent red like bloody marys, so I guess I must have some mutts on hand.  I will put them in my cull tank and leave the chocolates in to hopefully improve the line over time.

Auratus

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my shrimp friends Chocolate tanks, he's had this same group for 9 years now

max chocolate shrimp tank.htm

I probably did that (posted pic) wrong so by clicking on this it will download to your documents then double click to open it.