Newbie Shrimp Setup

Gordy

Managed to scrape by after many failures of keeping Shrimps.

Currently my parameters is as such,

pH: 7.2 

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20

gH: 8

kH: 0

TDS: 490

Temp: 29.1c

My Painted Fire Shrimps and Shrimplets seemed to be doing ok so far. What other choices can i try? Is my tank ok for CRS?

Why is your temp so high? Have you got Discus fish with them?

No no, just kidding.

You will need softer water, Ph and Gh is to high and Nitrates also too high

best way is a buffering soil, ro/di water with a reminiraliser like SSGh+

Stable conditions and you should be good. Its best to have a dedicated tank for Caridina

That temp is WAY too high for them though.  You want 75f(24c) or lower.  Higher temps they will have problems like diseases and bacterial infections.  Also that TDS is WAY too high also.  You do not want it over 200tds so you need to get that and your GH should be betwee 4-6.  Higher can/will cause molting issues.  Also you typically do not want nitrates over 10ppm with them.  They do not like high ppm nitrates in the water.  The PH would be fine(mine are in 7.2PH) and are breeding like crazy.  

2 hours ago, ClownPlanted said:

That temp is WAY too high for them though.  You want 75f(24c) or lower.  Higher temps they will have problems like diseases and bacterial infections.  Also that TDS is WAY too high also.  You do not want it over 200tds so you need to get that and your GH should be betwee 4-6.  Higher can/will cause molting issues.  Also you typically do not want nitrates over 10ppm with them.  They do not like high ppm nitrates in the water.  The PH would be fine(mine are in 7.2PH) and are breeding like crazy.  

Hey... i'm from Singapore, tropical all year round hence the usual temperature.

I should be able to get the TDS, Nitrate and gH down. I'm thinking of either a cooling fan or chiller to reach the temperature. How about kH? Any issue at 0?

0 KH will cause the PH to swing up an down. Each time do you a WC the PH might be changing because of the 0 KH

Try testing PH of the water before adding to tank and make sure it's not causing large swings. 

I've done outdoor tanks in the past with temps 27-29C. You just need to make sure it has lot's of air from sponge filter + airstone. This should keep the warm tank from struggling to provide enough air.

7 hours ago, Greenteam said:

0 KH will cause the PH to swing up an down. Each time do you a WC the PH might be changing because of the 0 KH

Try testing PH of the water before adding to tank and make sure it's not causing large swings. 

I've done outdoor tanks in the past with temps 27-29C. You just need to make sure it has lot's of air from sponge filter + airstone. This should keep the warm tank from struggling to provide enough air.

That's my concern regarding kH too. But i have no ways to increase it. My tap water is at pH 8.2 and 0 kH. I don't wish to use sodium bicarbonate as i think the changes is too fast and furious instead of being gradual.

I do not know the proper way to increase KH, but if you fear of it increasing too fast without being gradual....

I suggest that you can get a large amount of the water you use and add the sodium bicarbonate or (whatever increases kh) into the water. Make sure the water is separated from the tank and just like drip acclimating shrimp, maybe you can drip the water with sodium bicarbonate into the tank. LIKE REALLY SLOW?

:/ im not sure anyone please feel free to correct me.

3 hours ago, bobthesushiguy said:

I do not know the proper way to increase KH, but if you fear of it increasing too fast without being gradual....

I suggest that you can get a large amount of the water you use and add the sodium bicarbonate or (whatever increases kh) into the water. Make sure the water is separated from the tank and just like drip acclimating shrimp, maybe you can drip the water with sodium bicarbonate into the tank. LIKE REALLY SLOW?

:/ im not sure anyone please feel free to correct me.

Sounds like an idea. 

Correct me if i'm wrong, kH won't dissolve over time? So i would only have to do this once every water change... or?

Welcome to the Shrimp Spot family Gordy.   Yes baking soda will increase PH.   When I started out I used rain water with a PH of 6.2 and mixed up 20L (5g)  batches of water/soda mix to get PH of 6.8.   Since I made this water in large containers ( as Bob suggested), it was available for water changes when necessary.   I still have the rain collection  setup out back, which is a frame with plastic sheeting going into a barrel as I don't want any debris/bird droppings that might be on my house roof.   Your rain water might help with your PH problem of using only tap.    It is also handy if the power is off and I need water for sanitation purposes as I live outside the city.  GH or KH is still best addressed with mineral substitute pre-mix powder.  ,,,,Mike

10 hours ago, Gordy said:

Yes

oh your tds is fine then. If it was RO + Remineralizer then yes 400 is too much but otherwise thats pretty norm. definitely invest in something to increase oxygen level, and cooling system and it should be a-okay

16 hours ago, oem said:

Welcome to the Shrimp Spot family Gordy.   Yes baking soda will increase PH.   When I started out I used rain water with a PH of 6.2 and mixed up 20L (5g)  batches of water/soda mix to get PH of 6.8.   Since I made this water in large containers ( as Bob suggested), it was available for water changes when necessary.   I still have the rain collection  setup out back, which is a frame with plastic sheeting going into a barrel as I don't want any debris/bird droppings that might be on my house roof.   Your rain water might help with your PH problem of using only tap.    It is also handy if the power is off and I need water for sanitation purposes as I live outside the city.  GH or KH is still best addressed with mineral substitute pre-mix powder.  ,,,,Mike

Thank you for the welcome. 

Any idea does saltyshrimp's kH+ will increase pH?

6 hours ago, ohmiko said:

oh your tds is fine then. If it was RO + Remineralizer then yes 400 is too much but otherwise thats pretty norm. definitely invest in something to increase oxygen level, and cooling system and it should be a-okay

I tested my tapwater at TDS 89. I supposed as my tank is newly cycled (haven't done first water change), alot of TDS are still in the tank new to new soil and mineral rocks. I'll do a WC soon. Didn't want to stress the shrimps as i recently has shrimplets. Thanks!

Hey Gordy.  As far as I know the minerals in SS products do not alter the PH.  I use the GH+ and have never had a PH change with my neutral R/O water. Not sure about KH+ .

On 8/15/2017 at 7:07 AM, oem said:

Hey Gordy.  As far as I know the minerals in SS products do not alter the PH.  I use the GH+ and have never had a PH change with my neutral R/O water. Not sure about KH+ .

Good info. Thank you. If i come across a bottle maybe i'll try it.

At the moment things are going well... 

brought the parameters to,

pH: 6.8

Temp: 2.90c (nothing i can do in our tropical country except chiller if needed, but currently on Fire Reds)

TDS: 300

gH: 7

kH: 0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10+

Thanks all for now!

Hey Gordy,

Glad to hear things are finally working out for you.   Hopefully some plants can use up of of the nitrates.   I know some people have no issues with 0 KH but sometimes failure of the shrimp to moult can occur.   Happy Shrimping Friend!