Add a second filter to 5 gallon question

DirtyCop

I have a hanging filter that came with the aquarium kit and I want to add a sponge filter.  Is it ok to add a sponge filter while shrimp are in the tank?  Do I have to worry about parameters changing? I have cherry shrimp, some moss, and small snails.

I bought 

BACTO-SURGE HIGH DENSITY FOAM FILTER 

and 

Tetra 77847 Whisper Air Pump, up to 20-Gallon

Thanks!

Thanks.  Problems keep coming up for me though...I've now removed my first filter that hanged in the aquarium-Whisper-that came with walmart tank setup-I guess they liked it in there.  Long story short-I saved one, think I killed one or two that somehow got into very small spaces in that filter.  I bought sponge to cover the intake but there were still screw holes that I couldn't cover which the shrimp were crawling into.  

Is the sponge filter with no medium added by me enough?  It is powerful enough for twice the aquarium size.  Just trying to save the shrimp I got, all parameters are very close to optimal.

Sorry to be redundant, but the shrimp are clinging to the Whisper filter cartridge.

Is it possible to stick it in the corner of the tank behind the sponge filter, while covering it up at bit with Java Moss to make it a bit more aesthetic?  To me it seems like more filtration which is rarely a bad thing.