Blue Bolt babies!!!!!

Thanks man! It just sucks because now I have to keep an eye on the second mama's clutch if/when she gives birth and make sure them babies don't run around the actual tank -___-

Many people just keep shrimp in the nets until berried and then let them free in the tank to have fry.  The theory is that the larger room helps develop the fry, and they have more food to find.

Gotcha! This is a temporary holding place for them while their tank was finishing it's cycling process and unfortunately it would've been done faster if I hadn't stopped doing the water changes to drop the nitrates on the tank *facepalm* haha....didn't know she'd give birth that quick but lesson learned haha.

The tank they're currently in needs to be replaced since the substrate is 1.5yrs old (cycling another 20L for it's replacement atm) and I don't want to have it die out completely and there are Cherry neos and CRS in the actual tank haha and I didn't want to mix the blue bolts with the CRS

I think the approach I'm going to take next time is using one of these breeder box instead of the net.  This would be for how you said Soothing Shrimp to wait until berried then let the babies run around the tank when they want to haha

http://shrimpsonline.blogspot.com/p/shrimp-breeding-tips.html

and for selective breeding I'd go with Marina breeder box Large size and make it shrimp baby proof LOL This way I can keep an eye on the babies while they grow and cull unwanted traits later on hehe

Thanks! I'm really lovin' the fact that all the blue bolt mamas have gained so much color when they get berried and once they release their clutch they keep the color they've gained. I've read about the color intensifying but have also heard that sometimes the color is lost after the clutch is released so I'm really hoping she keeps her color!!! *crosses fingers*

The last picture of the berried mama actually released her clutch yesterday. I just never got a chance to take a picture of her since she was always running around but yesterday i guess she was ready for some pics lol

When she first berried she wasnt this blue. She was more of a splotched "full" colored blue bolt. But as time went on she gained more color until the pic i took of her.

When I was reading about blue bolts I read that their color intensifies during the duration of pregnancy and after that theres a chance that they either stay that color or slowly lose it thought I dont know what percentage goes which way haha.

The PRL that are berried for me it varies...one of their bellies seemed to "stretch" and lost some pigmentation while the others retained their white and one got more vibrant...this is all observation from me so nothing written in stone

Yeah... My bb blue heads turn super blue when berried and unfortunately turn back to almost white after babies are born.

Sweet!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the second mama kicked her clutch since it was their firdt time being pregnant. Only have six babies at the moment one is almost all white two have nice blue on their head area one is a mosura bb one is still tiny so cant really say how its coloration is going to go and one has nice blue coloration

Ya still inside breeder net. The visual size of the babies is like

---- I'd say so I'm going to guess the six I have are the ones that I have for now haha unless others are hiding somewhere that I can't spot lol. One piece of cholla wood and mini x-mas moss in the breeder net atm all adults moved into their tank so only babies in the net

Why not just move the babies along with the adults. If anything I woulda kept adults inside the net if there's any doubt regarding parameters. Babies will grow much better in a bigger environment. I moved half my Nishiki babies from the breeder box to the main tank to test grow rates and it's a noticeable difference.