Seeding a New Filter

I currently have a 10 gallon divided tank for my Sakura and Blue Dreams. I'm starting to get all the equipment to upgrade to larger individual tanks. My question is, I'm currently seeding new dual sponge filters in my divided tank, how long until they are considered ready? When I set up the new tanks with the seeded filters, do I add ammonia 4 ppm daily as if I were cycling until I move the shrimp over? How long can the bacteria stay alive without feeding? Should I move some fish from my community tank temporally to keep the bio load up? Any other tips, ideas?

Tanks are generally considered cycled when they can process around 4ppm of ammonia in 24hrs.  Keep feeding the bacteria until you are ready to add the shrimp, then you can give it a break for a day or so.  

I don't use pure ammonia anymore, just fish food or snowflake along with snails to cycle.  If you have seeded with a mature filter, you generally are cycled in a few days.  

1 hour ago, ricksza said:

I really don't want to introduce snails in my tank, unless I get some nerites.

You don't have to, but they are very beneficial IMHO.  You could do MTS, mine hide in the substrate mostly.  Nerites won't breed in freshwater but will lay eggs all over.  

12 hours ago, wyzazz said:

You don't have to, but they are very beneficial IMHO.  You could do MTS, mine hide in the substrate mostly.  Nerites won't breed in freshwater but will lay eggs all over.  

Yup Nerites do lay eggs everywhere, its very hard to remove and unsightly. And if they die, its like an ammonia bomb. They are less hardy then snails like ramshorn or trumpet. I have those snails in all my tanks.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:54 AM, wyzazz said:

Won't the shrimp eat the eggs?

1 hour ago, ricksza said:

Won't the shrimp eat the eggs?

Eventually, yes.  But they will be all over the place until they do.  They aren't translucent masses like most snail eggs, they are white dots about 1/16th of an inch wide.