Let's Talk Pintos!

Okay I decided that after we somewhat "hi-jacked" the thread that dealt with alternating the coloration of TBs with out Pinto talk that maybe it was time to start a thread for Pintos haha.

I know there are a quite a few of us on this forum that are pursuing Pinto projects so I'll say which ones I plan on trying to cross and see what happens with them even though at the moment I don't have all the shrimp needed for the project and the tank I plan on using for this project is still cycling.

My planned shrimp crossings:

OEBT x RR Extreme Dragon

OEBT x Mosura BB

TT x BKK Extreme/ Shadow Panda

Of course based on the traits seen in the offspring I will be back crossing with either the tigers or the TBs to bring out the traits that I would have showing on them. I know a lot of people like to keep their secrets for certain projects but I don't mind sharing what I have planned since it's nice to see what others have up their sleeves and in a way it can help further the hobby in our community!

Edit: I talked to Oblongshrimp and he has moved over the posts talking about pintos to this new thread instead of the "Alternating TB coloration" thread

Sorry if there is any confusion amongst those looking at this thread

You gotta post pics when you start that pinto project man....looking forward to that one. I'm going the opposite and trying for the black and blue pintos using blue bolts and oebt hehe ^^

You gotta post pics when you start that pinto project man....looking forward to that one. I'm going the opposite and trying for the black and blue pintos using blue bolts and oebt hehe ^^

I would very interested in see the F1. Have you seen one yet ? Please post pictures if you have

I would love all the pinto- Red, Blue or Black.

If i am not wrong that Chris have the KK with his pinto project which he could end up with all the possibility of blue as well.

Yup. I think pinto would start showing up after F3...round one = tb + tiger....round 2 = f2 tibee+ tb/tiger depending on which trait you're trying to work with first and/or color you're trying to bring out....round 3 = culling offspring from round 2 and deciding who is who and where to put them....by then they should have some pintos showing up....that's the general idea form what I will be doing.

From what I understand f1 tibee don't really show much color so you need to wait for f2 tibee to see which traits are more distinctive and use them rather than f1

Yeah that'd be awesome if can have pinto in f2 but I think most f2 will still need their color to be worked on like it'd have all the pinto look but the color may be not full everywhere. But yes can only hope for the best

Thought this was an interesting post by dreameryoyo on another forum.  She is getting some beautiful shrimp from her crossings:

"A lot of people ask me how to crossbreeding to get Tibee Shrimps.

That's great that people have different ideas and thoughts. Here is my personal experience.

Reasons I chose to go with Orange Eye Blue Tiger and Taiwan Bee Mischillings:

Top 1: Pinto Shrimps are my top goal in crossbreeding tibee shrimp.

You need to have mischillings or Taiwan bee shrimps in crossbreeding to have pintos from offsprings. If without Taiwan bee shrimps gene, you would never get pinto shrimps from offsprings. To be clear, Taiwan Bee Shrimps refers to Black King Kong Shrimp, Panda Shrimps, Shallow Panda, Wine Red, and Red King Kong Shrimps.

If you want to get pintos faster:

OEBT x Wine Red, you get red pinto from F2 or later generation

OEBT x Black King Kong, you get blue or other dark color pintos from F2 or later generation

When you choose Taiwan Bee Shrimps, you want to choose the most healthy and with strong breeding capacity Taiwan Bee Shrimps.

2: Orange Eye and Unique Blue Color From OEBT

OEBT has been popular for long for it's unique blue color and orange eye. I want to keep those gene to my tibee shrimps, and my pintos.

When you choose a tiger shrimp and a kind of bee shrimps, yes the hybrid offsprings are called tibee shrimps. You want to set a goal what kind of tibee shrimps you want.

The recessive gene in my choices are:

White Color

Red Color

Orange Eye

Taiwan Bee Shrimp Gene

You won't get those from F1, these character will show on F2 or later generation.

And there are too many pattern and coloration from my F1s. I did selective breedings, and you can see my black tibees (F2/F3) show nice pattern and coloration. Offsprings from those black tibees could be black tibee, red tibee, and possible pintos. I have a few red pintos from my F2 black tibees."

I dont have pinto yet since my tank for that project is currently cycling lol. After that is done cycle I will try and source the shrimps for the project hehe

Already have all the shrimp and tanks. I'm moving tanks tomorrow so I'll be able to officially start the project!

That is cool Chris. I know that you been planning for a while so it is always excited when you finally start. I want to cross breed the BKK x WR to use as my stock for pinto first.

That is cool Chris. I know that you been planning for a while so it is always excited when you finally start. I want to cross breed the BKK x WR to use as my stock for pinto first.

I actually had the same idea to use BKK x WR but I'd be using the RR Extreme dragon instead since I like the darker coloration

I actually had the same idea to use BKK x WR but I'd be using the RR Extreme dragon instead since I like the darker coloration

That is wonderful so we can share our result.

I'll ask this since I know nothing about having tiger shrimps. To those who have bred tigers and TB to get the tibee how long did you acclimate the tigers to the TB water? I've read of people acclimating them for up to three hours before putting the tigers into the TB tank most of whom have used OEBT.

Oebt have become much hardier than they used to be, i just plop and dropped mine from ph7.2 kh3 gh6 tds 220 to ph6 kh0 gh5 tds170. Haven't lost a one.

LOL alrighty saves me the extra two hours of acclimating haha. I prefer to acclimate even if I'm moving between my own tanks hehe

I'll ask this since I know nothing about having tiger shrimps. To those who have bred tigers and TB to get the tibee how long did you acclimate the tigers to the TB water? I've read of people acclimating them for up to three hours before putting the tigers into the TB tank most of whom have used OEBT.

I acclimated my OEBT into my TB tank for 3 hours. Almost all new shrimp even neos I do this to. I never hard acclimate anything unless its culls,from tank to tank. Most of my water is close to the same.