Water parameters for cycling

So I've been watching some YouTubers talk about the cycling process for their shrimp tanks and it seems a few of them say not to go any higher than 150 TDS I just wanted to see what you guys think should there be high levels of GH or KH should I start using that shrimp mineral mix. what do you guys put in your water in the very beginning to get things not only cycled but ready for snails and shrimp I'll have cherry and blue velvet separate tanks of course

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure if I understand, but I don’t do anything special to my water when I’m cycling it vs. when I have shrimp in the tank. I use RO/DI water remineralizer with either Salty Shrimp GH+ or GH/KH+ to achieve the water parameters for the specific type of shrimp I’m planning to put in (cardinal vs neocaridina) and let it cycle with that water. This way the bacteria and microorganisms that grow in my tank develop in the parameters for the shrimp I’m planning to put in the tank. I try to keep things in my tank as consistent and stable as possible, even during the cycling process. 

Hope that helps but maybe I’m misunderstanding your question. If so, could you tell me the youtubers that you watched who said this? I watch most of the popular shrimp tubers and learned basically everything I know about shrimp keeping from them.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:46 AM, JSak said:

I’m not sure if I understand, but I don’t do anything special to my water when I’m cycling it vs. when I have shrimp in the tank. I use RO/DI water remineralizer with either Salty Shrimp GH+ or GH/KH+ to achieve the water parameters for the specific type of shrimp I’m planning to put in (cardinal vs neocaridina) and let it cycle with that water. This way the bacteria and microorganisms that grow in my tank develop in the parameters for the shrimp I’m planning to put in the tank. I try to keep things in my tank as consistent and stable as possible, even during the cycling process. 

Hope that helps but maybe I’m misunderstanding your question. If so, could you tell me the youtubers that you watched who said this? I watch most of the popular shrimp tubers and learned basically everything I know about shrimp keeping from them.

I'll have to re-find the video but from what I remember they where saying if you go above 150 TDS during cycling it does something to the bacteria or something. I'll have to ask Mark from marks shrimp tanks during his next live stream

Depends on what remineralizer, for what kind of shrimp, and it is not related to cycling, it should be the same, before and after cycling. You will me mixing water for water changes or for the first filling the tank, all the same.  Role of TDS in shrimp keeping.

1. Salty Shrimp makes for neocaridina and shrimp, living in above pH 7 water Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+. When mixed with RO water, it makes a healthy replacement for tap water. You could aim for 180-200 ppm TDS, but I would make it to 6 dGH. Worked for my neos well. Cherry and velvets are neos.

2. They also make Bee Mineral GH+, for soft water caridina (crystals, bees), for use with pH lowering substrate. It could be mixed anywhere from 80 to 150 ppm TDS, but I would aim for 5 dGH, also works well for my Taiwan bees. See Role of GH in shrimp keeping. But I am not an expert, started few years ago.

TDS meter should be calibrated, and, when reading label, pay attention to units of measurements on it, it is in microsiemens (for EC pens) instead of ppm for TDS meters.