Bacteria outbreak?

That’s actually biofilm, which are microorganisms that typically grow on surfaces that’re rich in nutrients. Whenever I add a new piece of driftwood I get that biofilm as well. From my understanding it’s a good thing for a tank and can help promote the normal cycling process by promoting growth of microorganisms and beneficial bacteria. It should go away in a couple weeks but if you have shrimp they’ll most likely devour it. 

On 2/28/2020 at 10:40 AM, JSak said:

That’s actually biofilm, which are microorganisms that typically grow on surfaces that’re rich in nutrients. Whenever I add a new piece of driftwood I get that biofilm as well. From my understanding it’s a good thing for a tank and can help promote the normal cycling process by promoting growth of microorganisms and beneficial bacteria. It should go away in a couple weeks but if you have shrimp they’ll most likely devour it. 

O ok it just looks likes little pieces of cotton all over my different pieces of driftwood. I don't want to put any shrimp in yet because I want to age the tank Abit. Hopefully it goes away, looks kinda ugly lol

Here's some pics. 

Thanks guys.

15830061432492728947966937798279.jpg

15830061666211644598029216971850.jpg

Yup looks like biofilm to me! Just the natural process of adding a new piece of driftwood to your tank. It happens everytime I add them to my tanks as well. It should go away over time 👍

I had it on spiderwood without Stability. It didn't go away in few months and shrimp didn't touch it much, so removed and no longer using spiderwood, switched to mopani. It also could have slight coat of this, but shrimp clean it fast.