How many tanks for selective breeding with tracking generations and crossing back?

Smallest scale hobbyist. I happen to have established tanks for Taiwan bees (low PH setups) that are no longer in use and there are no more interesting colors to put there.

Thought of trying to breed blue jelly (not neo kind) from white ghost bee and black king kong, for the lack of anything more interesting to do.

Can't find information how many tanks will be needed for this. I can set a new layer of small shallow mating, birthing and grow out tanks, but not tens of them.

And anything else that I would need to know to evaluate feasibility of this, practical part. Or at least wording for finding this online, I am apparently using wrong terms and can't get anything useful.

Thanks.

Thank you, this was very helpful! The whole website gives insight on what is involved in breeding at much higher level. I didn't even know that fancy tigers could be that opaque and with sky blue on them.

Do you have, by any chance, links to the lesser level of selective breeding procedures or ideas for us, common folks, who buy common strains from LFS or shrimp stores and try to figure out what else, beside keeping them, could be done with them, to see something new and interesting?

You're welcome!  I don't have any more links, but I can say that if you don't have room for a lot more tanks then you can always start using HOB Breeder Boxes.  Take the two shrimp you want to breed together and toss them in a box off of the main tank.  Once the female is berried then move her back to the main tank.  Take your babies, selectively move them to new tanks, and keep track of the generations that way.  

If you want to breed a particular shrimp back with it's parent's then you can easily do it that way.  

Thank you very much, even more to know for a beginner!

Can you explain when shrimp have to be bred back with parents and when between own generation? Based on general appearance or expected appearance of recessive traits? There could be also hidden genetic traits that could show themselves later in generations. I have read most basic theory, but can't wrap my mind around practical part of this.

So far it seems that F1 should be kept and bred together, and from F2 select the ones that have this trait and start mating them between themselves in the same way as it was started with original parent group. Sorry if I got it wrong, this is why I am asking here.

(1)Personally I’d have your Parent Breeding Tank, this one will contain the select males and females of each type you FIRST chose to breed with.. 

(2)Then I’d have another tank just for the very first filial offspring/selection, then the parents of this first batch of offspring  will stay in their new tank until later.. (3)Now all the offspring that I cull for what ever reasons may be, will be placed in A new separate tank. 

So as of right now the bare minimum  I’d have is three new separate tanks for my single breeding project.. If there was room and the money, I’d prefer to have 1-2 additional tanks though. So I could keep the parents of each batch of Hybrid Offspring separately in separate male and female tanks. 

(1) Will Contain the OG Parents, The only male(s) and female(s) that aren’t the new hybrid you made... I say to keep these in their own tank throughout this project, if you ever decide to Do A Inbred Back Cross

(2) Tank will be used for all the love making the selected parents from Each offspring. This is the tank that would require the most work/attention. 
(3) Now this 3rd tank would contain all the Culls, Or All the new Hybrid shrimp that didn’t make the cut..

FYI-  ^ ^Still I’d pay attention to this tank, A new diamond could pop up in the rough. Since there’s all different genes/traits from all the new generations of the New Cross/Hybrid that would be breeding with each other. Possibly creating jaw dropping shrimp!! 

there is another option, well  tried and tested in farm animal  production and also in breeding  dogs horses ornamental birds  rodents etc

the more Severe selection pressure the soon you reach your goal at the price of weakening your line due to  narrowing genetic variability , and accumulation of deleterious traits. lets say this case would be breeding with the best 10 % of the population. you also reach earlier a point where there is no more improvement .

another option is to apply a low selection pressure, say to remove the worst 10% of the population, your improvement is a lot slower but your population improves and you dont acumulate bad genes, also the improvement goes much further because you maintain a wide genetic diversity in your population and dont hit a dead spot where there is no more improvement

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Wow...I feel like I've been in a Master Class on shrimp breeding.  Uuaaayyy....your questions are interesting and similar to mine.  I loved the part about "or at least the wording for finding this online."  Lol, I feel your pain!