What else could be done with strains from LFS, after keeping and breeding them was achieved?

I see that this subforum is most active, so asking here. If other place or places are more fitting for this question, please tell me and I shall ask there.

What us, common folks, could do with shrimp, after managing to keep them alive, reproduce, and do the same with most difficult animals from available in LFS (leaving alone Sulawesi shrimp)?

• Getting some common strain as fire reds and let them breed, removing culls and hoping that there would be some split into other colors as MarksSrimpTanks got in his tanks?
  • Getting the shade of blue bolts we like better?
  • Do some selective breeding, but what to aim for? Try to make fancy tigers opaque? But darkening strains (ninjas) are not available locally or at LFS prices.
  • Is there something similar that could be done with Taiwan bees or neos instead of tigers?

Something that will not require what is not affordable for common mortals.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

I got some reasonably priced fancy red tigers and they have been fun to split and breed for different traits or say pink vs red. Someone else's cull may be your goal. I have a mixed neo tank I've got lots of neat things coming out of. I have some blue tinged and blue pattern wild neos I'm trying to get more stable. Then there are your tibees are a good source for cheapish shrimp to start projects with. And a frtxoerbt that's pink with white edges blue stripes that I've had 4 pop up. Also got some nanacy that I have a nice line of.bluebolts from. Go to the local shows and ask or search facebook for a local breeder. Grant (tgoe) has amazing shrimp and shipping is cheap considering you don't get the losses from imported shrimp at the LFS. Wyzass also sold me some oerbt that I was able to seperate into blonds, regular oebt, and then i.moved n killed them but there were different shades or sheen on some that could have been separated. If your not going for the latest fad then pick something you see and make it more defined. Who says a deep red cherry is better than an even bright pink. My GF wanted pink shrimp so to her those are more valuable than boas and to me to have her intrested in my hobby. Blue bolts used to be bred for a crisp cut off between white and blue. I just saw some with a black front half and extreem bluebolt rear. Search grant eder's posts on fb he has been sharing some of his projects. My next is looking for fishbone patterns to cross with ykk to see if I can work on my own yellow fishbones. See what non shrimp people think look pretty that's a good way to do so.thing cheaper vs paying for latest and greatest.

Oh and I'd suggest using caridina parameters for everything it let's me swap between tanks easily and I can keep.my tiger projects with my neos so doubles the tanks kinda. Neos do.just fine.for me on sl aqua soil with a tds of 150.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good ideas to explore, thank you!

With tigers and neos this makes sense to keep the same water for both, but my Taiwan bees oriented setups have too low for neos pH, using extra tanks or plastic containers  for extra temporary setups with tap water or GH/KH+ RO water is a way to go.

Neos and tigers do just fine on low ph bee setups. Maybe not as prolific of breeders but they still breed faster than tigers or caridina. I also have better luck with all shrimp in gh only setups. Home bred neos are very hardy. I can take mine from 68* tds 150 0kh ph 6.4ish and toss them into a sulawesi tank that's 82.5* 250tds with most of the kh from sulawesi 8.5 ph sitting at 8. No acclimating and didnt lose one out of 20. Not recommended but they are harder to kill that people think.

Thank you! This was unimaginable for me, always thinking within optimal for species parameters.

Hopefully last question: if you keep Sulawesi shrimp in the same room with cold water tigers,  do you insulate their tank or take any other precautions in case of power failure for a few days? Are they eating other shrimp food or only grown in tank biofilm?

I am waiting on a local breeder to have sulawesi that are big enough to move or sell. So the rabbit snails and neos are keeping the tank till then. I'll feed a sulawesi food I found and try out the ones I have to see what they will eat. I'm doing bacter ae currently but not sure if I will continue. The sulawesi tank is not on my rack as i wanted 20gal minimum for them. I'm letting it run to get a nice algae coating too.07ea50734be4fc669b8203cf9290d354.jpg