Taiwan Bee Mischling

So TB imports vs US breed TB's are different in price? 

I never see anything but a normal $15-$20 range.

How cheap are you guys selling the imports?

For me, the ones bred in my tank are in that range, imports are a bit lower.

For me, the ones bred in my tank are in that range, imports are a bit lower.

Is this a difference between US bred ones and imported ones or between pure TBs and pinto gene TBs? Soon with all the pinto projects going on within the country, there will be US bred pinto gene TBs. Also if there's such a price difference, there will be people selling imported TBs as US bred ones since no one can tell them apart until they possibly throw non-TB offspring... Just throwing that out there.

Makes sense! Now can someone tell me if the difference is between imported ones and US bred ones or pure and non pure ones? What if we have pure TBs from a trusted overseas source? I just wanted to know how people value shrimps. Would you pay more for US bred shrimps over imported shrimps if they are both pure or non pure line (or sell them for a higher price)? Or is it only based on whether we believe they are pure or not?

Have you read up on tb and breeding . I think allot of your questions could be answered through research online and fb.

Hmm, what do you mean? I'm only asking about how people price their shrimps. I've done some reading about TBs but definitely not everything available to me on the internet. Do you have any suggested source that'll tell me more about TB pricing in regards to US bred ones and imported ones? Perhaps I haven't been clear. I am asking this because the prior discussion was about US bred TBs being sold for a higher price than imported ones. There's also the discussion that (imported) TBs with pinto gene will throw mischlings instead of 100% TBs, which make them less desirable and less valued. I'm just curious to know, if there is a difference in pricing of different TBs, what the exact reason for it is. I hope this time it is clear. I do apologize if there is already a well accepted answer to this though. I should do more research regardless.

My opinion about the price difference between locally bred and imported.

First of all, don't mix this with if they will produce nearly 100% of TB, these are two different topics.

Local Bred vs Imports : I price the TBs bred in my tank about $3 more each, and the PRL bred in my tank about 20-30% less. 

Why? for people who has come to my shrimp room, they can compare the tanks of imported TBs and my own TBs. The difference is "visible". The ones from my own tank are more active than the imported ones and more healthy looking. I have one tank with 200+ bkk babies in a 15G and 20 breeding size BKK (AC50 filter, that's it, simple), the NO3 is about 40ppm, they don't mind it a bit. They would graze around the tank all day long, and you can see the new born up to juvi all very active. The imported ones always aren't as active in the first week or so, even after they are comfortable, they just aren't the same. People who see this mostly agree that extra $3 is worth it. It gives people more confidence that they can be successful with these shrimps too, especially those who just start TBs. I believe it's also the sight of a tank of TB of various sizes makes them more confident that TB breeding isn't difficult.

But why do I sell 20%-30% less for the PRL bred in my tank? This is because I think the common TBs are about the same quality, I don't carry pure line TBs (i.e. those over $200 ea), so I always just pick randomly. I even sell hinos the same price as the regulars in may cases. However, PRL is a different story. people pay partially for the name associated with them. I carried PRLs from 3 different breeders, the price is not based on how they look, it's based on how much they are worth in the market (i.e. my cost). I have a line of PRL that's dirt cheap (for PRL), but the overall visual quality beats most PRL under $300, that's because the breeder isn't as well known and the line isn't stable enough.

Also, I cull about 20%-30% of PRL bred in my tank and only sell the middle of the pack, and keep the top 10%-20% for breeding. So I think they should be worth a bit less. Maybe some day I can charge more if my own line is stable and with high quality. But I don't think the market for PRL in N.A. will be there to appreciate the work and effort behind a stable line yet. So the cheap PRL has been a success, at least for now.

Another thing about imported shrimps, to certain degree,  those not bred in my own tanks. My view on these is always -- breed them as fast as I can and keep the babies. I had tried Wine Red many times myself. They just didn't do well (this applies to many species I really like, such CWS, BTOE, and OEBT). I got them from others who imported them (before I got my own import license). I would get 10 and if 3 or 4 get to adult size then I'm very happy. But the ones bred in my tanks are just tougher. I only started to breed from my F1s, and these just are as touch as a nail.

These are just my $0.02.... not meant to argue with anyone's view.

Nice write up, man.

My reaosning for preferring to buy shrimp from where I live is simple.  The shrimp are already used to the water here, and are usually hardier.  Plain and simple.

Heck, in theory, if I could get very hardy TB that do well in 7+ ph and up to 80F without getting bacterial infections, I'd jump on it! LOL

My opinion about the price difference between locally bred and imported.

First of all, don't mix this with if they will produce nearly 100% of TB, these are two different topics.

Local Bred vs Imports : I price the TBs bred in my tank about $3 more each, and the PRL bred in my tank about 20-30% less.

Why? for people who has come to my shrimp room, they can compare the tanks of imported TBs and my own TBs. The difference is "visible". The ones from my own tank are more active than the imported ones and more healthy looking. I have one tank with 200+ bkk babies in a 15G and 20 breeding size BKK (AC50 filter, that's it, simple), the NO3 is about 40ppm, they don't mind it a bit. They would graze around the tank all day long, and you can see the new born up to juvi all very active. The imported ones always aren't as active in the first week or so, even after they are comfortable, they just aren't the same. People who see this mostly agree that extra $3 is worth it. It gives people more confidence that they can be successful with these shrimps too, especially those who just start TBs. I believe it's also the sight of a tank of TB of various sizes makes them more confident that TB breeding isn't difficult.

But why do I sell 20%-30% less for the PRL bred in my tank? This is because I think the common TBs are about the same quality, I don't carry pure line TBs (i.e. those over $200 ea), so I always just pick randomly. I even sell hinos the same price as the regulars in may cases. However, PRL is a different story. people pay partially for the name associated with them. I carried PRLs from 3 different breeders, the price is not based on how they look, it's based on how much they are worth in the market (i.e. my cost). I have a line of PRL that's dirt cheap (for PRL), but the overall visual quality beats most PRL under $300, that's because the breeder isn't as well known and the line isn't stable enough.

Also, I cull about 20%-30% of PRL bred in my tank and only sell the middle of the pack, and keep the top 10%-20% for breeding. So I think they should be worth a bit less. Maybe some day I can charge more if my own line is stable and with high quality. But I don't think the market for PRL in N.A. will be there to appreciate the work and effort behind a stable line yet. So the cheap PRL has been a success, at least for now.

Another thing about imported shrimps, to certain degree, those not bred in my own tanks. My view on these is always -- breed them as fast as I can and keep the babies. I had tried Wine Red many times myself. They just didn't do well (this applies to many species I really like, such CWS, BTOE, and OEBT). I got them from others who imported them (before I got my own import license). I would get 10 and if 3 or 4 get to adult size then I'm very happy. But the ones bred in my tanks are just tougher. I only started to breed from my F1s, and these just are as touch as a nail.

These are just my $0.02.... not meant to argue with anyone's view.

That's really helpful. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 years later...

so back to BKK mischlings ha ha, I just had my first berries. Out of necessity I had combined my caridina tanks for my move and she could have been bred by BKK mischling , CRS, or possibly a lone tang tiger. What should I be prepared for? Probably no shadow pandas right? ? day 4 and the berries are brownish.

great post by the way!