Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

• 3 weeks later...

Just culled a huge tank of RR.  Some had brown gill disease.  No way do I want to even risk selling any that may even remotely be infected to hobbyists down the line- even after meds. 

So made the painful decision of nuking a tank of 300+ shrimp.  I just couldn't live with myself knowing I would have passed anything on to anyone else unintentionally .

*painful sigh* Lost a large amount of money, but my respect for myself remains intact. I have to look myself in the mirror and know I'm always attempting to do the right thing, ya know?

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered a package of CBS, and the tracking shows it delivered yesterday.  Only thing is, it didn't arrive yesterday.

Talked to my mail person and this is their first day back  from vacay, and yesterday used a mail person from somewhere else.  The supervisor I called said this was correct, and now a claim has to be filed for a missing package from my seller to get refunded.

First time ever having this happen in 10+ years. :-(

I feel bad for my seller, and the shrimp of course.

2 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Ordered a package of CBS, and the tracking shows it delivered yesterday.  Only thing is, it didn't arrive yesterday.

Talked to my mail person and this is their first day back  from vacay, and yesterday used a mail person from somewhere else.  The supervisor I called said this was correct, and now a claim has to be filed for a missing package from my seller to get refunded.

First time ever having this happen in 10+ years. :-(

I feel bad for my seller, and the shrimp of course.

Definitely sorry to hear about that, Soothing. I had something similar happen to me at an old apartment complex I lived in a few years ago with a breeding pair of black halfmoon plakat bettas. The mail carrier placed the slip for delivery in my mailbox, but didn't drop the package off at the front desk on the delivery day. Turns out, the package was still at the post office and had never even been placed on the truck. =/ 

Hope you and the seller can come to an arrangement that works best for the both of you.

• 3 months later...

Hi Soothing....

Had a need to join the "spot" after finding your journal here. (So, hi! New here!) I have been trying to find any info or experience in basic shrimp breeding, and haven't found much out in web-land yet, until I came across your journal. I've had this thread up on my pc for 3 days, and just finished reading. It's been a fun read, and I am ecstatic that you have continued (and hopefully will continue) to document your journey. Most "serious" breeders keep their knowledge under super secret lock-and-key, which I find frustrating. I completely respect all the hard work that goes into this hobby, and I understand not wanting to freely give out info to the public for fear of misuse. From my experience so far, it seems like this niche is fairly new to the at-home hobbyist scene. I know it's not new, been going on for quite some time. But to be a beginner on the freshwater shrimp scene looking for more inclusive information is tough! 

A quick bit about me.....I've been keeping freshwater tanks all my life, and have never had less than two tanks running at all times. My fascination started with guppies. I love breeding them. I have a great running relationship with a local fish store who is very knowledgeable, and has always given me great advice along the way. Anyway, I took some of my stock to trade in one day, and the owner finally convinced me to bring home some shrimp to try. I started with Amano shrimp, which is cool...mine saddle up and berry constantly. Once the eggs hatch, they are berried about 3 days later. My guppies feast on the babies though, as I don't have any intrest in trying to create the right environment for them to grow from there. That is a lot of work. Eventually, about 2 years ago, I got a good handful of red neos.......and the rest is history! I never thought I'd be interested in anything other than guppies....but I have seriously found a passion with these beauties. To say I'm in love with them is an understatement. 

So basically, I have a pretty good setup going for my shrimps right now. They are happy and reproducing steadily. So now I want to take things further. I've done a lot of reading. I'm not really "educated" in genetics.....I know the basics, and what NOT to do or avoid. I have a nice range of reds, from clear/very little red, up to beautiful painteds. I started with all reds, and a couple batches of eggs through some nice chocolates! With these chocolates, I find the juvies to look blue for a short bit before they completely mature. Once matured, I find them colored mostly greenish/clear, chocolate, and nice reds. And this has me seeking the research avenue.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your progress. I'll be a life-long reader :) I'm hoping to grow my knowledge so I can breed with a purpose, and add to the lack that is out there. Thank you for sharing your experience, and I hope to learn a thing or two from you :)

• 7 months later...

Hey Bryce its been a few years.

Looks like your not as active and have stopped breeding neos? I will have to spend some time reading through the past three years of your thread.
I assumed that you would be here slinging nessies and sonics  :)

Hope all is well!

Bryce decided to spend more time with his kids and his theater work so he is taking a break from shrimp for now.  I was fortunate to pick up on of his projects.  Miss his input.