Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

As a selective breeder, I encourage you to do so! :D

I am! Maybe oblong has a few of different patterns! He said he would have his for sale Soon.

-Chris

nice color, really sunshine for sure. Awesome!

Yeah.  See, I developed the want to work with genetic husbandry years ago.  I tried hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, mice, rats, etc.  Then you have to feed the culls off, so I got into snakes, lizards, etc.  All are beautiful animals, and easy to breed- but man do their cages stink if you even miss one cleaning.  plus substrate all over, Constant replacement of things chewed through, etc.

Then I tried keeping some shrimp.  And I realized, I can keep several hundred in one place, if I miss a water change the room doesn't smell, water if spilled is not wood shavings all over, and better yet- many breeders just breed what already exists in large tanks.  No attempt to even improve.

So I got into buying some so-so strains of neos and attempting to make them the best I could.  Very quickly I found out there is very little information on shrimp genetics, and lord knows I'm not teh best at figuring out these things- so I started doing selective breeding using the bell curve.  How can I make this color better?  Can I make it more solid?  Can I make it into a pattern?- and then later- I wonder if I take this cool looking cull and breed it out, if I can make it into its own strain. heh

I'm no geneticist, heck, I'm not even smart.  I just use my creativity to have fun with selective breeding.

---

I *have* thought about doing some fish though Louie.  In fact, I went so far as to get some different kinds: I have Platinum White Albino Guppies (Man did I pay an arm and a leg for those), CPD, Least Killis, Gold Least Killis, and Orange Line Guppies.

I know NOTHING about fish, which is why I enjoy reading the occasional fish threads here.  When I received my White Guppies, I put the in remin RO and they did well.  Then everyone on a forum told me that was wrong and put them in recon tap- so I did.  Then I began having problems with fin rot.  Lost two and use melafix to heal the other.  I've now gone back to RO again, but they are hard to breed for me.  Doesn't help that the fems are fry eaters...

My Leasts were breeding great, then not so great.   They kept throwing a majority of males, so I dropped the temp from 80 to 70's.  I see almost no babies now.  I thought maybe the moss provide better hiding space for privacy for breeding.  All it's done is make it so I don't see my fish now.  Ugh.

My Gold Leasts don't seem to be breeding much either. *sigh*

I've had the occasional fry with the CPD.  But I only see maybe 1 a month or so.  Maybe they are eating them?

I LOVE my orange lines.  But not many offspring from them either.

Any advice from fish keeper is appreciated.  I'd absolutely LOVE to get into selective fish breeding too.  But I guess for me the fish would have to be prolific, easy to breed, and be able to be kept in contained paces without going after each other.

Yeah. See, I developed the want to work with genetic husbandry years ago. I tried hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, mice, rats, etc. Then you have to feed the culls off, so I got into snakes, lizards, etc. All are beautiful animals, and easy to breed- but man do their cages stink if you even miss one cleaning. plus substrate all over, Constant replacement of things chewed through, etc.

Then I tried keeping some shrimp. And I realized, I can keep several hundred in one place, if I miss a water change the room doesn't smell, water if spilled is not wood shavings all over, and better yet- many breeders just breed what already exists in large tanks. No attempt to even improve.

So I got into buying some so-so strains of neos and attempting to make them the best I could. Very quickly I found out there is very little information on shrimp genetics, and lord knows I'm not teh best at figuring out these things- so I started doing selective breeding using the bell curve. How can I make this color better? Can I make it more solid? Can I make it into a pattern?- and then later- I wonder if I take this cool looking cull and breed it out, if I can make it into its own strain. heh

I'm no geneticist, heck, I'm not even smart. I just use my creativity to have fun with selective breeding.

---

I *have* thought about doing some fish though Louie. In fact, I went so far as to get some different kinds: I have Platinum White Albino Guppies (Man did I pay an arm and a leg for those), CPD, Least Killis, Gold Least Killis, and Orange Line Guppies.

I know NOTHING about fish, which is why I enjoy reading the occasional fish threads here. When I received my White Guppies, I put the in remin RO and they did well. Then everyone on a forum told me that was wrong and put them in recon tap- so I did. Then I began having problems with fin rot. Lost two and use melafix to heal the other. I've now gone back to RO again, but they are hard to breed for me. Doesn't help that the fems are fry eaters...

My Leasts were breeding great, then not so great. They kept throwing a majority of males, so I dropped the temp from 80 to 70's. I see almost no babies now. I thought maybe the moss provide better hiding space for privacy for breeding. All it's done is make it so I don't see my fish now. Ugh.

My Gold Leasts don't seem to be breeding much either. *sigh*

I've had the occasional fry with the CPD. But I only see maybe 1 a month or so. Maybe they are eating them?

I LOVE my orange lines. But not many offspring from them either.

Any advice from fish keeper is appreciated. I'd absolutely LOVE to get into selective fish breeding too. But I guess for me the fish would have to be prolific, easy to breed, and be able to be kept in contained paces without going after each other.

I'm also into fish more than shrimp. I bred discus for years. Still do in fact I care for them better than most of my shrimp. I love shrimp because I spend so much time working on my Discus tanks.

-Chris

Discus are neat, but man- the size of a tank you'd have to have to keep them!

Yea I'm luck enough to have a large basement. Right now I just use a 90g.

-Chris

In a 90 I have 18 mid juvies. When adults I would only keep about 8-9. Yea I will sell when they pair and breed. I don't have any breeding right now. Probably another 2 months and I'll have a few pairs. Its why I'm redoing the basement, will need a few more tanks going for them.

-Chris

For juvies I usually keep bare bottom. I'm one of the few that aren't scared of a planted discus tank. This tank was drilled and they used acrylic to seal it up. Didn't want them to scrape against the rough edges.

-Chris

Soothing,

Thank you very interesting your post, I ran out of "Liked this" or would have given you one .  With my daughters I too had gerbils, 1 hamster, Bushy tail jirds , Duprasi , Southern Flying squirrels and zebra mice .

I imagine your male mice smelled the worse because regardless of how clean they give off a musky odor .

Decades later I find shrimp easier lol but I enjoy the tank hobby and fortunate that the water here is good so easy enough.

ctaylor,

I remember in the 70s think till early 80s , It was only bare bottom tank for discuss . They had slate bottom tanks than besides the tanks we have now so with slate bottoms it looked nice .  Than Europeans who were more advanced began to keep them in planted tanks and via the only fish mag at the time , everyone learned that it could be done .

I never kept discus but friends did and one still does.

Def can be done, I have a planted show tank that house discus. Once they are fully grown I have no problems keeping them in planted tanks. I tend to overstock the juvies so I get more pairs out of them.

-Chris

So I've decided on a couple thangs.  One is to trade or sell off my red claw shrimp.  They were in a family enjoyment tank, and now I can use that tank.  So they'sa gotta go.

And 2, when I first got my marmorkrebs, everybody- and I mean EVERYBODY said offspring would all look the same since they are clones.  Exactly the same with no differences.  Carbon copies.

Well guess what.  They definitely have subtle differences in coloration and spots, etc. :D

Having this first hand  knowledge under my belt, I'm going to try to selective breed them for more and more white.  Maybe something else too while I'm at it...

Should be a slow process since it takes 6 months or so until first berry, but nobody else is selectively breeding them for anything because they say it can't be done, so being boneheaded- I say I'll try! LOL

Soothing Shrimp,

I have self cloning and agree that different colors would be a big hit .  I picked 2 up last year as use the young which I get in volume for my cichlids who love them.  I found that they will produce more young and with greater frequency in warmer temps.

Mine are in the backyard patio in a 20 gallon under 24/7 shade .  Perhaps it is due to cloning but big eaters for crays that size.

Someone pm';ed me and asked if I could share a pic of my BV project I';m been selective breeding for several years now.  I'm happy to say that I'm getting some pretty good results with a couple more shades darker this year. :)

Here's a pic I just took with the hood light on.  I don't do color modifications via photo editor, so what you see is what it pretty much is. 

post-2-0-65289400-1401989711_thumb.jpg

The 2nd pic is with flash:

post-2-0-70310200-1401989944_thumb.jpg