PRL Grading

IMO in question 2 shrimp A with that color casting make it very hard to determine the quality of that white. If you look at the white on the head of that shrimp is better due to color hue. Shrimp B with the cool color make the white really jump out.

I guess both should be very close in term of quality just 2 different tones in those pictures or maybe my eyes..LOL

photography skills make a big difference.

Totally agree with you two, but then I can't think of a better way to show the shrimps short of showing them in person ;-)

I have thought about writing a topic about this, for the same shrimp, take different pictures with different lighting, angel, distance, ... etc, and I'm sure most people won't think it's the same shrimp.

Hungle64, the main difference is the thickness, whiteness, and completeness of the shell. Both are nice shrimps, but at that level, 4% better can mean 4 times more value.

Guys? They all look the same to me.

Values aside, everyone got the order correct, if you look carefully you should be able to tell the difference. I'm pretty sure you were just joking ;-)

Randy, the only time I need visual acuity of any degree is when I'm at the microscope looking at blood or poop. Off the microscope slide, forget it. I've been known to mistake rheas for emus!

I can tell that there's a different pattern between the first group and the second group. But no, I don't see any differences within each group.

This thread helps to fully understand the reasoning behind the scale that people use. I like the pictures it gives you a better idea on what to look for. Good thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of all the selective breeding and generations and money it took to get to the high quality dense coloration in the shrimp you see in those pics.  Selective breeding is not an easy task.

It's kind of like the difference between a Nissan Versa and a Lamborghini Veneno. Both are cars.  It just depends what you want and if you have the money.  And of course some of the money goes towards being a name brand.

• 3 weeks later...

So the question should be when is han importing them? I wouldn't mind a few.

Scott

High $ PRL market in the US is VERY minimal. so not worth all the expenses of importing these yet.

PRL Grading comes down to legs colour coverage. Its hard to judge from the pictures.

also pattern and solid white.  solid white no entry hinomaru SS with white legs are considered the most prized patterns.

High $ PRL market in the US is VERY minimal. so not worth all the expenses of importing these yet.

pre-order should work.

It can be arranged with other imports, so cost is not big issue.

Unless you dealing with culls, solid white is standard which brings pricing down to leg coverage.

High grade prl in the UK are still very rare but those who buy appreciate the work involved in breeding them and ate happy paying the prices.

As I said though, it's a very select few

Unless you dealing with culls, solid white is standard which brings pricing down to leg coverage.

High grade prl in the UK are still very rare but those who buy appreciate the work involved in breeding them and ate happy paying the prices.

Could you show us couple pictures of different price bands.

totally agree, but a lot of people in the US think just because somebody calls it a PRL means its high quality.  like you said could be a prl cull.

I'm sending PRL culls into my low end CRS tank, where I think their quality belongs. Is that bad? I think we all should be focusing on quality not on silly grading scales just to try to make a buck on someone who has no idea what their buying. We've all seen the SSS that you can almost see through. Its terrible some of the stuff people will pawn off. Their's probably just a handful or two of people in this country who have any clue about shrimp, most are on this board.  Just my two pennies.

Scott

I myself have more than 1 line of PRL. To be honest, I sell the offspring cheaper than what I paid for the first breeding crew. People tend to not think it's reasonable to charge $50 - $100 a shrimp while a "similar" shrimp in the tank right beside it is only $6, but there are always people in the knows.

There are people willing to pay more for more, but it's not a money making grab for sure. So what happens is I just keep the best one as the breeding crew and culls go to my regular CRS tanks and get sold with them, or sell them at much cheaper price to pay for the expense.

PRL just means that the offspring are all red and white with no snow white/golden babies. PRL does not mean high grade. However, it seems a lot of people are calling shrimp PRL and putting a high price on them for monetary gain. People new to the hobby will be none the wiser but newbies wouldn't be buying PRL. Experienced keepers who are looking for high grade shrimp would have done their research, if they are seeing PRL sold for a low price they should smell a fish.

Quality over quantity should always be the motto but some people see it as business first, hobby second, if at all. People new to the hobby often get stung but it doesn't take long for people to learn.

I do the same as randy. Anything i deem is not up to standard i put in with my standard CRS. Just because you breed two very high grade PRL it does not mean you will get high grade PRL babies. I'm lucky if i get 2 of a similar quality from each batch.

PRL just means that the offspring are all red and white with no snow white/golden babies. PRL does not mean high grade. However, it seems a lot of people are calling shrimp PRL and putting a high price on them for monetary gain. People new to the hobby will be none the wiser but newbies wouldn't be buying PRL. Experienced keepers who are looking for high grade shrimp would have done their research, if they are seeing PRL sold for a low price they should smell a fish.

Quality over quantity should always be the motto but some people see it as business first, hobby second, if at all. People new to the hobby often get stung but it doesn't take long for people to learn.

I do the same as randy. Anything i deem is not up to standard i put in with my standard CRS. Just because you breed two very high grade PRL it does not mean you will get high grade PRL babies. I'm lucky if i get 2 of a similar quality from each batch.

I've started doing the same. taking PRL culls I dont feel meet my high standards of what a PRL should contain and putting them in with my CRS.  I also cull my CRS only keeping the higher quality whites. I dont grade or sell by grade. people dont understand that when I give them pricing. my CRS are all 1 price because i focus on white quality not grade.  just like i do with my PRL. they just have an even higher standard.