Seachem Stability

Prime is just for chlorine and chloramine. Stability just helps get the cycle going. I use it was each new tank and filter cleaning. Just watch your parameters and you'll know when it's cycled.

I read where someone was using it like Bacter ae to feed shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When using this to cycle a tank, do I need to add prime every 48 hours? Or do I just add Stability everyday until I see nitrites/nitrate readings?

No prime during cycling.

it would remove the NH3/NH4 as well, which is the key for cycling.

My ammonia level doesn't seem to be raising. Any idea what's wrong?

It's just 10g tank with blue sand and about 9g of water. Following instructions as stated but still no ammonia.

if you're not using ADA aquasoil amazonia as substrate which leaches ammonia, you're doing fishless cycling. you need manually add ammonia.

here is ammonia source you need:

post-231-0-97882100-1408829625_thumb.jpg

I thought Stability increases your ammonia?

No.

ammonia -> NO2 -> NO3 by stability

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently I've been using stability wrong the whole time?

No where does it say I need source of ammonia or fish when using stability.

"If you doing a fishless cycle, then begin dosing the Stability when you begin adding ammonia or fish food and dose for 7 days.  If you are cycling the tank with fish in it, begin dosing the Stability when the first fish is added to the tank."

According to Product Support

It doesn't matter.

I'd have to disagree. I would say this matters greatly. As a avid user of Seachem Stability, I can say unless you received a bad batch, I've never experience a correlation between algae and dosing stability.

If you are in fact cycling with lights on (and I couldn't see why you would as it would be wasted electricity) you are introducing extra factors to an empty tank. This imbalance needs to balance somehow. Algae will normally take up this excess and grow. Algae is an indicator of an imbalanced tank.

I have a tank sitting unlit, cycled for 6months, dosing stability daily, and the only algae I see currently is brown glass algae and this is results of neglect and long periods of no water changes.

I still dose stability daily because my shrimps love the stuff. Typically, lighting will lead to algae.

I'd have to disagree. I would say this matters greatly. As a avid user of Seachem Stability, I can say unless you received a bad batch, I've never experience a correlation between algae and dosing stability.

If you are in fact cycling with lights on (and I couldn't see why you would as it would be wasted electricity) you are introducing extra factors to an empty tank. This imbalance needs to balance somehow. Algae will normally take up this excess and grow. Algae is an indicator of an imbalanced tank.

I have a tank sitting unlit, cycled for 6months, dosing stability daily, and the only algae I see currently is brown glass algae and this is results of neglect and long periods of no water changes.

I still dose stability daily because my shrimps love the stuff. Typically, lighting will lead to algae.

Well, what I mean is that light doesn't affect nitrifying bacteria.

it doesn't live in the water column but medias in the filter.

and algae is good thing for shrimp, that's their main food source.

I never had any algae issue unless I don't have good healthy colony.

I can show you photos for comparison:

good colony:

post-231-0-74607100-1409764636_thumb.jpg

only few shrimp in the tank:

post-231-0-64278500-1409764641_thumb.jpg

you can see shrimp did very good job to clean the tank.