Seachem Stability

Well, what I mean is that light doesn't affect nitrifying bacteria.

it doesn't live in the water column but medias in the filter.

and algae is good thing for shrimp, that's their main food source.

I never had any algae issue unless I don't have good healthy colony.

I can show you photos for comparison:

good colony:

attachicon.gif_DSC0897.jpg

only few shrimp in the tank:

attachicon.gif_DSC0637.jpg

you can see shrimp did very good job to clean the tank.

Ohhh Ohhh! Gotcha! Sorry. Yes, nitrifying bacteria do not care for light much, if any. Op's algae issue could be stemming from the photo periods during cycling, if he is in fact leaving lights on.

So i take out all my plants and dip them in peroxide?

Wait. Are you still cycling? I'm confused. Typically I cycle in a lightless and plantless environment. Lights and decay plants will increase organics inside a cycling tank, compounding algae problems.

Wait. Are you still cycling? I'm confused. Typically I cycle in a lightless and plantless environment. Lights and decay plants will increase organics inside a cycling tank, compounding algae problems.

The tank with this issue atm is my mature tank. I dosed a bit of stability to see what would happen after my water change and it created chaos.

My tanks that are cycling are only developing hair algae that can be easily removed.

That's very strange. I use stability for all my tanks ranging from now tech low light no fertilization to high tech fertilized tanks and no hair algae or any algae beside brown. If organics is causing the problem some purigen will help mediate that problem.

That's very strange. I use stability for all my tanks ranging from now tech low light no fertilization to high tech fertilized tanks and no hair algae or any algae beside brown. If organics is causing the problem some purigen will help mediate that problem.

how would I use purigen for a tank with only a sponge filter?

It is a difficult situation with a sponge filter. The only way I see this working would be to tie the purigen in a small filter bag and suspend it somehow on front of the outflow of the sponge filter and have what little water circulating out tank hit the purigen.

If you were to introduce a water pump, you'd need a filter guard but it's simple from there.

Actually. Niyrifying bacteria lives in the top 1cm of substrate and on deco. But its only 1% of it.

I see no way for it to work with a sponge filter unless you feel like a DIY. Take a small cylinder like PVC, get some caps drill holes and connect it to the boy tome part of the sponge filter. And the cut the top and connect it to the top of the PVC cap. Then you have a media chamber.

So do people use HOB filter for 10G? If yes, which one? Wouldn't the water flow be a bit too extreme for shrimp?

I use an AC30 or AC50 for a 10G. I use a double sponge filter as pre-filter for AC and that reduces the flow a bit. Plus if the flow is too strong I can always turn it down a bit (ACs are adjustable). Since AC30,50,70 all share the same motor, they use the same amount of electricity, with a bigger model you can stuff in more filter media. And because you can stuff more in, you are okay to use the less effective ones (cheaper).

Here is what I mean by pre-filter... for $2, probably the best way to prevent babies from being sucked into the filter.

20140520_155657_zps0e7entpk.jpg

And this is how I connect the sponge filter to AC HOB. Just wrap a stripe of filter floss on the uplifting tube of the sponge, then insert into the HOB intake. Works great and almost free.

2014-05-20%2015.58.56_zpsnuy0umqo.jpg

Anyone know why after using DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride for Aquarium, it says 1 drop per gallon for 2ppm. I dropped in 10 drops for 8gallons of water. Waited 24 hours. Tested water. Ammonia, Nitrite,Nitrate are all 0. I use API Test Kit. The tank is new and only has sponge filter from my established tank.  Am I doing something wrong?

Yes i'm following the instructions. The expiration dates are 2019. Far from expiring. 

After pounding the bottles on my sink and doing another test. I'm finally getting a reading of .25ppm ammonia which is still wrong. Guess i'll wait 1 hour and see what it gets too. Added 2 drops of 1gallon = 2ppm ammonia in a small styrofoam cup. So the ammonia reading should be off the roof.