Mosura Graze - The Official Snowflake Shrimp Food

Tanman19az

Hey guys! Many of you shrimpers have seen those pics from Overseas breeders with the massive amounts of white flakes with Hundreds of CRS picking through them. Well I was dying to try it out and was offered some cheap Chinese brand for $7.50 shipped from Taiwan or China I forget.  I passed thinking it would take too long to get to me.  So my friend Will over at www.theshrimptank.com just got some Mosura Graze.  It's the same stuff as this snowflake food so whether it be the copycat or the original, Mosura is a brand I can trust. 

I received my package today of Mosura Graze, BT-9, Old Sea Mud, and Shizhen Power. Here's some pics of what went down when I fed my shrimp:

eqagagap.jpgapasebu7.jpgesu9epyb.jpgydadydab.jpg

I'm a bit confused.  It ooks as if it comes in pellet form, but "Even though the shrimps are attracted immediately to Mosura Graze when it is introduced into the tank, it is perfectly normal to have white flakes left over."

Does that mean if I feed my shrimp three times a week, I'm going to start accumulating the white flakes in the tank?

The shrimp do eat it but anything they leave behind grows a fungus (can't recall the name now) that is also food for the shrimp.  I put a bunch (about 1.5 packages) in my various shrimp tanks and all my shrimp were munching on it for days.  They do spread it around quite a bit and make a bit of a mess with it though.  I still have a bunch in my tanks but my shrimp are constantly picking on it. 

I find that the leaves I have been using eventually break into a bunch of crap that ends up dirtying up the tank since it doesn't completely break down and get eaten. 

What kind of leaves are you using?  I use Mulberry and Cherry and not a trace to be found with the exception of veins which I take out eventually. :)

I do like new foods though, and I'm sure at some point I'll try the "snowflake."  The thing that has me intrigued is that it may be possible to feed less, but still be nutritionally sound.

I think most of mine are cottonwood and scrub oak....whatever I have in the backyard :).  Maybe I should just buy some better quality leaves from someone though so I don't have as much junk in my tank.

Having the stuff leftover in the tank wont create pests?

I just saw this stuff recently and thought it was interesting.

I do like new foods though, and I'm sure at some point I'll try the "snowflake."  The thing that has me intrigued is that it may be possible to feed less, but still be nutritionally sound.

Feeding less option with this food would be great

Wonder how the Snowflake differs from barley pellet ? It look's interesting but personally I am to cheap to use anything expensive  ;) Or maybe its that those little packs don't last me very long  :) I use Oak and especially Beech leaves . Beech are the nicest as they look natural and seem to be much cleaner ( They are much thinner than most leaves ) . I also like that I can pick them off the tree after other leaves have fallen and know they are clean and not much microbial action has started . I must compliment everyone on their post here and all the threads . Seems to be a lot of helpful information and really nice people . Like they say you learn something new everyday . I will have to try the Snowflake and see if it gets devoured with enough shrimp in the tank .

The Mosura Graze is a proceed bean product (skins I think) vs barley grass. 

My guys like their dried banana leaf, but only after it's been in the tank for 2 weeks.

It's gets stringy and doesn't scatter like IAO, so doesn't muss the tank.

I don't know how beneficial some of these foods are because I only have shrimp for 2 months now.

No one has passed away yet, also no one berried, although they look fatter.

I won't fix it unless it's broke or I have a multitude to play with.

The one lone french cut canned green bean I tried was a hit, though.

-Stef*

My shrimp have eaten most of them by now as well but the tanks that still have them are constantly munching away at them.

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of leaves are you using?  I use Mulberry and Cherry and not a trace to be found with the exception of veins which I take out eventually. :)

I think most of mine are cottonwood and scrub oak....whatever I have in the backyard :).  Maybe I should just buy some better quality leaves from someone though so I don't have as much junk in my tank.

Wait, what? You can put "normal" leaves in a shrimp tank, too? I only hear about people putting in the IAL. Is there a general rule for what leaves might be ok, other than generally clean/healthy appearing and pesticide free?

"Wait, what? You can put "normal" leaves in a shrimp tank, too?"

LOL  Yepper.  Here's a small list of a just a few people have used in their tanks:

Alder
Almond
Apple
Apricot
Ash
Banana
Beech
Cherry
Crabapple
Guava
Hibiscus
Indian Almond Leaves (aka Catappa, Ketapang)
Madrona
Maple
Mulberry
Oak
Peach
Plum
Poplar
Schefflera

Wow, thanks for the list Soothing Shrimp!

Back on topic, I have no idea what shrimp find so great about bean extract/fungus, but more power to 'em! They do seem to be enjoying themselves!

Edited by Pika

I accidentally made something similar to what these flakes do. Put some mulberry leaves tea bought from the nature shop in a jar, added some bacterial starter (sera nitrivec) into the mix and after one week i got some large fungus colonies growing on the surface. Took the white stuff out and fed it to my red rili shrimp. In 20 minutes the whole tank was munching on this stuff.

mg0933.jpg