cold packs

Subtletanks91

I've only ever used heat packs and various cold packs that were sent to me wih a shipment. Now I'm out and I want to send some sample of my fish food before I start selling it. I've heard about phase 22 ones. What do you use hoe much are they and where can I get them.

its to much work to ship with dry ice and the expense of shipping will outweigh the cost of the food. Plus it doesn't need to stay frozen just coldto keep it from going bad.

Because ita not a flake food. Or pellet. Ita a fresh food. Raw fish and mollusk. So you keep it in the freezer to keep it fresh. Since its like clay you break a piece off and put in the tank atach to whatever you want. Needs yo be kept cold. There's photos and such in the DIY food thread.

If it is that fresh, I don't know that it would last 3 days in the mail.

However, if you are planning to do a lot of shipping, maybe this may be more economical: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Scienceware-European-Model-Frigimat-Junior-Dry-Ice-Maker-Flake-Snow-Bel-Art-/131208231332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8c9eb9a4

I was thinking about 40* wich can be achieved. The question is, can it be achieved using two cold packs directly on the product, in a small enclosed insulated space I.e. A priority small.

obviously it doesn't have to be below freezing because if you go to a grocery store the meat department has fish in a closed container with styrofoam bottoms sitting on top of ice. And its usually there all day of not longer.

shipping using dry ice is a little tricky because it have to be a closed container yet have ventilation because of the ice reverting backing to its gaseous state. And that poses the problem of well for a small quart sized sanwich bag only 1\4" thick hoe much do you need for it to stay solid dry ice shipping three days. Which coats more to ship in the long run.

two ice packs directly on the food in and enclosed insulated small space should more hab be enough no?

For fresh seafood, dry ice and overnight are the best ways.  If you can freeze your food, it may help as well.  Otherwise you risk poisoning, IMO.

If you can dehydrate it, or have a powder for adding water - to make your clay product- you'll save yourself big problems.

But that raises two issues. The probiotics will die if heated. I forgot the second one.

that would make sence except it sat in my tank for 24 hours without fouling the water. I did test ammonia nitrite and nitrate nothing spiked. Both my tanks are at 78* so if it would spoil it should have spoiled in the tank. So using two ice packs in an insulated box would keep the temp well under 70* does hat make sence?

making it into a powder or dehydrated it just won't work. Not the way its made

I would do a contained test in ro water not your tank and check readings your tank will not give accurate ones. Also 2 ice packs will not keep it that low. When I pack 2 ice packs in my boxes on a 2 day trip temp readings in use box vary with heat out side but end up at 60-70

My parameters are stable at a constant. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and in the tank I tested nitrate 20ppm. I tested every 2 hours before and after work. If it would have fouled the water, knowing the constant of my parameters, it would have tested so. As well as if it would have fouled it would have grown mold or fungus fairly fast. Un nested fish food grows fungus in less than 24 hours.

I'm doing a test shipping regardless. I think it'll be fine shipping. So the test will tell wether shipping my way is ok and will be fine, or things need to be tweaked and I make a seperate form for shipping while selling this locally.