Water Quality and Testing

I am still in the "waiting for warmer shipping weather" stage so I do not yet have any shrimp. However, I've been using this time to get ready. Firstly I should say I'm not able to devote too much of a budget to growing my aquatic hobby, but on the other hand, I want to do things right, rather than cut necessary corners. Secondly, I'm planning to keep red cherry shrimp.

The tank that will house the shrimp is a 20 long. It has been running and planted with fish and/or snails since May 2013. It has fish in it currently, which will be removed when I get shrimp. It has a heater, and a Hydrosponge IV with a 3 watt air pump. It is an old air pump, probably not something currently in production. It's hard to know whether or not this pump is adequate. I do not run an air stone inside this sponge because the pump then becomes very noisy. 

I have access to two kinds of water, and my two tanks each contain a mix of the two. Our tap water comes from a rainwater harvest system and runs through a sediment filter, charcoal filter, and UV sterilizer. Currently we're in process of further upgrading our rain harvest system. I also use a great deal of well water, which is hard water. The downside of this is that it comes from a handpump well which is a good walk (and downhill) from my house and is also quite stiff to pump. So it is a definite effort to get this water for my tanks. I'm planning to buy a KH/GH test, because I don't know these parameters for either of my water sources, and I'm hoping to be able to use less of the hard-to-get well water than I have been.

The ph of my tapwater is 6.8, but my well water tests as high as the test kit measures, so it is likely higher. I understand that this may mean it is higher than the ideal range for RCS, and I may need to get a high-range ph kit as well.

Are there other tests that would be considered essential to keeping red cherry shrimp? Is it important to test for ammonia, even in an established tank?

Thank you for your help!

If you are picking up other tests then it might be worth getting an ammonia test but if you go slowly with your cycle (or in your case use an old setup) then I think you can get by without one.  They do come in handy though if your shrimp start dying and you aren't sure why.

• 4 weeks later...

TDS & Hardness (gH) are the two main parameters that I try to keep as constant as possible. Even neos prefer a low TDS with 6-7 dgH of hardness if possible. Especially if they were bred in such clean water.

I keep CRS/CBS in TDS 330ppm just fine, with berried females but the water change is done not more than a week apart with a volume of 15-20% AT MOST.