Sochting Oxydators

OblongShrimp

I know my tiger tank has had O2 problems in the past when the airline gets plugged so I am sure I would have issues without power.

I moved them to my 12G Long that house some tigers that were originally from the same tank.  The 12G doesn't have an oxydator but has a much large surface area to volume ratio and they seemed to be doing much better.  So I think the surface area of the tank helps greatly as well. But once my new shipment comes in, I will be upgrading some of the mini oxydators in the tanks to the next size up.

Well the first thing we have is the patent and a detailed explanation of how it works here: http://www.google.com/patents/US4784765

Second is the DIY experiment performed here, lots of hearsay in this thread take most info skeptically: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/324974-diy-oxydator-experiment/

Heres a TPT thread about them and use with bees:  http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183686&highlight=Oxydators

I stand corrected with the 35% comment, it seems that people just buy that to dilute with RO water to get 6-9% concentrations.  Use the following chart to dilute food grade 35% to the desired concentration here: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-dilution-chart.html

A lot of this gets into discussion of actual H2O2 dosing which is quite dangerous for your tank if you don't know exactly what you're doing so I would advise not try it, especially because shrimp are easily affected by it.  It has been known to kill cleaner shrimp in SW aquaria.

There is also a US vendor of them but according to the site are all out of stock, I am refraining from a link as this is another vendor and I feel like it would be rude to post it in a vendor forum.

it also seems that each model/size uses different a different concentration %.

From what I recall hearing from the manufacturer they can all use the same concentration (6%) I believe.  I will have to look back at my emails to confirm this though. 

From what I recall hearing from the manufacturer they can all use the same concentration (6%) I believe.  I will have to look back at my emails to confirm this though. 

The standard solution is 6% but you can use pretty much anything from 3% - 30%. Sochting has oxydator solutions in 3%, 6%, 19.9% & 30% concentration

The mini comes with a 4.9% solution while the A & D comes with a 6% solution. The W (for ponds) is designed to use a 30% solution while the FT (fish transport) is designed to use the 19.9% solution.

The amount of oxygen produce is dependent on the concentration of the solution, the number / size of catalyst(s) and the temperature.

You can "turbocharge" your oxydator by using more catalyst and/or increasing the concentration of the solution.   So technically if you add a second catalyst to an Model D oxydator it would produce the same amount of oxygen as a model A as both units uses the same catalyst and solution; however you will have to refill the model D more often as it holds less liquid.

For the Model A oxydators, they recommend adding a third catalyst and/or using the 19.9% solution for tanks on the upper end of its range (400 - 600 litres) 

The sochting oxydators showed up while I was out of town

http://www.theshrimptank.com/hardware/sochting-oxydator/

Just bought one from Will. Let's see how it goes.

After reading this up on MarineDepot, it last pretty long.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Pactor_GMBH_(Sochting)_Mini_Oxydator_PU_20_Freshwater_Planted_Tank_Products-Pactor_GMBH_(Sochting)-PG1117-FWFO-vi.html

1. Activated oxygen filters to every corner of your aquarium including those "dead pockets" which the current can`t reach. It even penetrates the gravel bottom, making it an ideal biological filter.
  2. Activated oxygen encourages aerobic micro-organisms which convert fish excreta and rotting food into harmless end products. They put an end to stale, foul odours from the pool bottom.
  3. Activated oxygen itself rids water of noxious organic products like carbohydrates and nitrite by converting them into simple, safe substances like water, carbon dioxide and nitrate.
  4. Activated oxygen improves redox-potential, killing the unwanted algae and bacteria which cloud water. Your tank or pond stays clean, clear and healthier.
  5. Activated oxygen is converted to ordinary oxygen by the Oxydator`s specially developed ceramic surface. The reliable, self-adjusting system maintains exactly the right balance of activated and pure oxygen which your pond or tank requires.
  6. No need for a CO2 diffuser in most cases—the unique process of the Oxydator does not expel CO2 from your tank but actually helps it to form from organic matter.
  7. No need for tubes or cables—the Oxydator is the first safe, self-contained unit to offer a constant year-round oxygen supply for outdoor ponds. It continues to work even under thick winter ice.

Just got mine. The mini comes with 2 bottles which is enough for 4 uses. Wow am I impressed. It started working immediately. The bubbles are very very tiny.

How long does one use last?

According to marinedepot, a mini with one catalyst last 8 weeks, 2 catalysts last 4 weeks at 3% H2O2 concentration.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Pactor_GMBH_(Sochting)_Mini_Oxydator_PU_20_Freshwater_Planted_Tank_Products-Pactor_GMBH_(Sochting)-PG1117-FWFO-vi.html

The mini comes with H2O2, the other two sizes do not.  I do plan on selling some but I haven't been able to get it all figured out yet.

I'm working on my order to get one.

What's SS Easy Filter Power, similar to Seachem Stability?

Nope. Just had it for about 5 days and there's only about 50-60% of the solution left inside. So a good estimate would be 2 weeks and it's finished.

They finally contacted me back. Looks like more catalyst used = more oxygen produced. They also said my temperature is too high but it's only at 70F. 

SS Easy Filter Power is supposed to primarily help to make your tank water clear but it also does a bunch of other things according to the manufacturer.  You can see the complete list of what it does here.

The mini that you have takes like 30mL or so at a time right? That is disappointing it isn't lasting longer, I wonder how long the larger ones last.  I have been to busy to hook any up yet but I hope to get some going in the next week.  I also need to start mixing up some H2O2 in other concentrations for people too.

• 2 months later...