Your opinion on what it takes to create your own PRL

hey

With a lot of conflicting information out there on what constitutes a PRL line, what in your opinion is required (aside from obviously being free of the golden gene) to create your own line of PRL.  

What I am getting at is this, is just buying PRL and selectively breeding them yourself enough, or does it get a little more complicated than that where you would buy crs of any grade and selectively breed to goldens to test if they are PRL based on whether there are any golden offspring.

you have to start with a quality trusted line. there are lots of people calling their crs "prl" it takes years to develop a high quality line you can call a prl.

So, if you start with a trusted line, then selectively breed for many generations for traits you deem desireable, it is then a line you can claim as your PRL line?

You can technically claim a line your own at any point. Heck I could buy a few throw my name on there.

The real value comes in the fact that work you did has to be recognize by the international community like at the Euro Shrimp Contest.

Most "brand" name lines come from people who have won championships using the shrimp they developed over years. Ellen is a great example how she developed her line and won/placed high over several years and can now claim a line as her own.

Shrimp are just like any other marketed brand. People must acknowledge the brands value for it be worth anything. So just tossing your name on it wont mean anything if you have nothing to back your product.

It's all about name recognition :money:

You can technically claim a line your own at any point. Heck I could buy a few throw my name on there.

The real value comes in the fact that work you did has to be recognize by the international community like at the Euro Shrimp Contest.

Most "brand" name lines come from people who have won championships using the shrimp they developed over years. Ellen is a great example how she developed her line and won/placed high over several years and can now claim a line as her own.

Shrimp are just like any other marketed brand. People must acknowledge the brands value for it be worth anything. So just tossing your name on it wont mean anything if you have nothing to back your product.

It's all about name recognition :money:

It is more interesting to me to selectively breed my own thing.  Like testing every single shrimp added whatever the grade to see if it carries any golden genes by breeding it with a golden and checking offspring outcome before putting it in a prl tank.  From there it would building my own line based on only traits I found desirable and not really piggy backing on someone elses work getting their line pure.  From what I understand even though the breeding to golden test is pretty accurate theres still a chance of muddling up the gene pool but the odds are slim according to I believe silanes webpage.

Build your own PRL is easy, just purchase couple PRL shrimp from trustworthy source, then you can call the offspring your own PRL.

but for reaching the value of well known PRL existed on the market, there is lots of work to do.

It takes years of efforts to achieve current level of quality (win top prize in international contest). then you can put on the same price tag as currently top line of PRL on the market

if you watch the recently international shrimp show in Taiwan, you know the bar is pretty high.

the winning shrimp I know, takes 7-8 years of selective breeding. and started from $$$$ PRL shrimp.

if you just start with $$ shrimp, the gap is huge, take much longer to compete.

with PRL you have to have high standards. you cant compromise. either it fits your specifics or it doesnt. 

if it doesnt most breeders wont sell these culls. or like i do just add them to my CRS tanks to help bring up the CRS quality.

high standards is important. you want your PRL to really represent high quality.

Thanks for the input on that, I guess my plan will consist of buying about 10 PRL to start with (would it make sense to start with various lines or a single line btw I have read benefits to both).  I am rly looking forward to getting this project started now. 

• 3 years later...
On 11/14/2017 at 4:15 PM, pastu said:

The wider the gene Pool you Start with, the further you go before your línea stops evolving for lack of genetic variation 

BUT the opposite side to that coin is not every breeder focus on the same traits.  some like darker reds, some like different patterns, etc etc.  so mixing gene pools isnt always the best with PRL.