How to get OERT

Tigori

I was wondering if anyone knows how to breed OERT since I only have the red tigers and I

would like to get some OERT. I have this theory and would like to know if its correct or not.

post-378-141191928113_thumb.jpg

I will be using the pic above as an example and the crystal black will represent the regular colored eyes (dominant trait) and crystal red representing OE (recessive trait)

So basically I will probably breed my red tiger with probably some OEBT or even royal blue tiger OE since i guessed that the blue hue is the recessive trait whilst if i breed my red tiger the red is a dominant trait with a OE tiger which is also a dominant trait, the offspring might give both red,black or even mixed color tiger (which might not be a bad idea). So basically here is my thought

RT= Red Tiger

OEBT= Orange eye blue tiger

OEC= Orange Eye Carrier

OERT= Orange Eye Red Tiger

RT X RT= 100% RT

OEBT X OEBT= 100% OEBT

RT X OEBT = 100% OEC

OEC X OEC = ??% OERT ??% OEBT ??% OEC ??% RT

OERT X RT= 100% OEC

OEC X OERT= 50% OEC 50% OERT

OERT X OERT= 100% OERT

in the case of having blue red tiger with or without oe might probably be cool too but im not so sure. What do you guys think?

I thought I remember hearing it was a simple recessive trait but could just be shrimp gossip.  The other assumptions is that the blue is a recessive trait that you will be able to eliminate while keeping the orange eyes.

i dont think its that easy. red tigers have red stripes and a clear body. not a red body with black strips. if it was that easy there would be lots of them already

Im sorry but im lost :P

What I want to do is to make my red tigers have OE since mine only have dark eyes.

post-378-141205530057_thumb.jpg

Edit:

Here is a Red devil tiger shrimp (if i remembered the name correctly)

2468483f6d32d24868a2477905418567.jpg

I thought I remember hearing it was a simple recessive trait but could just be shrimp gossip. The other assumptions is that the blue is a recessive trait that you will be able to eliminate while keeping the orange eyes.

Im not sure about whether or not the blue color is a recessive trait but i remember about someone listing which recessive traits there is (for his tibee project) and listed OE as one of them.

wow that red devil is sweet looking!  I wonder if you get a solid red tiger by crossing a normal red tiger with the black tigers and replace the black of the black tigers with red.

if you want to try it i would go with blond oebt. they already have a clear/orangish body and closer to what you are wanting to do. down side is i bet the black strip will be dominate. i could be wrong though. and you also have to keep in mind that even blond oebt will give blue offspring. and it will take many many generations to get it going well so have tanks and time ready

Im sorry but im lost :P

What I want to do is to make my red tigers have OE since mine only have dark eyes.

attachicon.gif20140921_091120.jpg

Edit:

Here is a Red devil tiger shrimp (if i remembered the name correctly)2468483f6d32d24868a2477905418567.jpg

This red devil was bred by crossing a normal tiger with a rusty back OEBT. She actually lost all these shrimp to a bacterial infection but said same results can be achieved by f2.

The goldeneye trait is 100% recessive, the goldeneye also means that the shrimp is blind.

This red devil was bred by crossing a normal tiger with a rusty back OEBT. She actually lost all these shrimp to a bacterial infection but said same results can be achieved by f2.

The goldeneye trait is 100% recessive, the goldeneye also means that the shrimp is blind.

I also know someone who keeps these but died because of a nitrite spike. The person you know might be a different one since the breeder of the shrimps in the pic is a guy. (Hopefully they are different :P)

Also, where did you find out about OE tigers are blind?

Jose Kienjet is a female breeder from Holland ;)

I know they are blind from my own experiments. You can do a simple test yourself, see how they react to a net compared to other shrimp that can see.

There is also something else unique about blind shrimp. I don't want to shoot my mouth off about it yet, just waiting for scientific clarification first. Obvious when you think about it ;)

Great info.  Thanks for sharing.  Knowledge is always good.

I've seen the theory that orange eye means blindness or eye problems, however to my knowledge no scientific study or electron microscope examination of anatomy has ever been able to substantiate this. There was a student of macrobiology last year that corresponded with me trying to prove/disprove the theory, but his research got yanked before he could finish it.

Regardless, I love the light eye look.  I have had yellow, green, brown and black eyes in my neos.

Well I apologize in case that she's reading in this forum loool..

From what ive read, OE is like legally blind to us ppl but not completely blind

You may be correct. ;)

All I'm saying is that there's no research to back up the theory either way.  Internet myths are easy to get started.  It's like the "report" that assassin snails killed someone in the field.

"Here's a news report from TMU News, April 20, 2009

Killer Snail Kills German Reseacher

Suluwasi Indonesia

Today the body of Hans Feinkelstien of the Invert Research Foundation was found in a remote location of Suluwasi Indonesia by a local fish collector. Hans has been missing for 10 days when he failed to return from a scientific study of Anentome Helena or commonly called the Assassin Snail in the aquarium hobby.

His body was discovered in a quiet pool near the Faketun River where Hans had been conducting his field studies. According to reports there was little left of Hans but that the entire body was covered by Anentome Helena. The Medical examiner that examined the body has determined that Hans was attacked and killed by the Anentome Helena. “All indications are that the snails he had collected were the cause of his death. We have found evidence to indicate that Hans was first attacked by the snails he had collected and then fell into the river as he struggled for his life.” stated the state medical examiner who examined the body.

“This is why we need tighter restrictions of importation of species into the United States” screamed the senator from Guam when she heard the news. “I will get this bill through even if the science behind it is based on the same science the global warming scientist use. I mean how long before a Anentome Helena attacks and kills a child why they are cleaning their Spongebob Fish Tank.”

There have been reports of Anentome Helena attacking and killing dwarf shrimp and according to researchers it would not be that big of a jump to assume that larger animals are on the menu. Anentome Helena has not been really studied in depth and the death of Hans has set back all information on this species by years since all his notes were lost when his notebook fell into the water with him."

The above started out as a social experiment to see how far this made up story would spread.  Now several sites are listing it as fact. LOL

There is no doubt in my mind that they are blind. You can see many differences in characteristics compared to sighted tigers, they use their antennae much more, more sensitive to movement etc etc

@British Reds, will you be entering at the shrimp contest in italy?

I will but unsure what yet. I'm not attending this year so I won't send anything too high value, maybe just some SCR.

ive noticed the same thing in keeping oebt. they do act way different than most other shrimp. i would say they do have some issue with sight. they tend to be more jumpy with shadows and super easy to catch but again it has not been proven. 

You may be correct. ;)

All I'm saying is that there's no research to back up the theory either way. Internet myths are easy to get started. It's like the "report" that assassin snails killed someone in the field.

"Here's a news report from TMU News, April 20, 2009

Killer Snail Kills German Reseacher

Suluwasi Indonesia

Today the body of Hans Feinkelstien of the Invert Research Foundation was found in a remote location of Suluwasi Indonesia by a local fish collector. Hans has been missing for 10 days when he failed to return from a scientific study of Anentome Helena or commonly called the Assassin Snail in the aquarium hobby.

His body was discovered in a quiet pool near the Faketun River where Hans had been conducting his field studies. According to reports there was little left of Hans but that the entire body was covered by Anentome Helena. The Medical examiner that examined the body has determined that Hans was attacked and killed by the Anentome Helena. “All indications are that the snails he had collected were the cause of his death. We have found evidence to indicate that Hans was first attacked by the snails he had collected and then fell into the river as he struggled for his life.” stated the state medical examiner who examined the body.

“This is why we need tighter restrictions of importation of species into the United States” screamed the senator from Guam when she heard the news. “I will get this bill through even if the science behind it is based on the same science the global warming scientist use. I mean how long before a Anentome Helena attacks and kills a child why they are cleaning their Spongebob Fish Tank.”

There have been reports of Anentome Helena attacking and killing dwarf shrimp and according to researchers it would not be that big of a jump to assume that larger animals are on the menu. Anentome Helena has not been really studied in depth and the death of Hans has set back all information on this species by years since all his notes were lost when his notebook fell into the water with him."

The above started out as a social experiment to see how far this made up story would spread. Now several sites are listing it as fact. LOL

Very funny story lol.

Depending on whether or not I will go to another country this winter, I will be conducting this project early next year along some tibee/pinto project.

One alternative is use just OEBTs. I have some OEBTs that have red stripes, especially when they reach certain age. If I breed them with very clear blond OEBT, maybe I can get some OEBTs that have lost the blue and the red stripes stay?

I think this is doable because I have seen some breeder's picture of their OERT, and some shrimps in that tank look a bit blue to me.

One alternative is use just OEBTs. I have some OEBTs that have red stripes, especially when they reach certain age. If I breed them with very clear blond OEBT, maybe I can get some OEBTs that have lost the blue and the red stripes stay?

I think this is doable because I have seen some breeder's picture of their OERT, and some shrimps in that tank look a bit blue to me.

I know about the oebts that have red stripes but i dont know if breeding with a blonde tiger will keep the red stripes.

Since all tigers here are kept at the same tank. Black tigers, oebt(all grades), tiger and blueberry tiger. And if by crossing oebt (with reddish stripes) and blonde, i think someone should have already oert or red tiger in the least. As far as i know, im currently the only one here who has red tigers.

Im currently contemplating on which tiger should i cross my RT with. Please someone help me choose [emoji24] (all prices are converted)

BTOE COST-???

Not sure though whether or not black is recessive

Deep blue oebt COST-10USD

This should be one of the best choices but the black stripes might appear on all of the shrimps so i might get oec with red and black stripes

Red rusty or rusty red oebt COST-10USD

Oebt that is covered with red that sometimes looks like rust. This might increase the chances of getting rt(oec) in the f1 but who knows

And last, the one im most leaning on. What we call blueberry tiger (might be different to other countries)

COST- 27.5USD

Very similar to a very dark blue carbon rili and just very sexy. Might work the best since the black stripes are completely subdued.(or are they?)

Pic of a blueberry tiger:

5307ecd287a216f3646d860ab215f394.jpg