TDS confusion, help, please...

Or you can put a stocking with fish food in it.

That will leech a ton of ammonia and foul the water as it breaks down and decays.

I'd rather sprinkle some flake into the tank 2-3 times a week, but my first preference are labyrinth fish like platys or gourami to aide in keeping a tank cycled, or cycling one.

Sent while on the go...

That's why i advised for ramshorn snails. They don't eat plants like the apple snail does, they reproduce and also grow to a size that makes them easy to fish out if they overwhelm the tank. I had a huge problem with common snails like physa. Since they so tiny and had to resort to assassin snails to bring their population down.

Ramshorns are easy to fish out, but you'll never find all the eggs, so you will always have ramshorns.  Until breaking down the tank.

I used to use mystery snails to cycle since they will not reproduce readily, and if they do you can remove the eggs above the water line.  You also have the added benefit of larger waste.

However, even after saying that, different strokes for different folks.  If one likes the use of fish, use them for continual cycling.  If one likes snails or alternative methods, you can use them as well.  As long as the tank is ready when you are, you are good to go. ;)

Yeah, I appreciate the thinking, but I probably won't use snails for cycling or even algae cleaning, it

just seems like when you get them, you have them for life. I'll just stick to a couple of ottos for cycling

as ottos are the only proven fish that will leave shrimp alone and they do not scare or stress the shrimp.

I like the debate though. I wonder how everyone feels about Reverse Flow Under Gravel Filters, or

even for a Plenum?  Should you use the charcoal filter that you attach to the end of each UGF?

or put a reverse flow power head on one side, and cap the other side and leave off the

charcoal filter?

Or should you just cap the tops, leave off the Charcoal Filter, with no air flow, no power head, and

just use the UGF as a Plenum?

Curious to see how everyone feels.  (I'll post it in a new topic)

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I made one.