High ph with ada amazonia

Nick_R

Look at the ADA official announcement and recommended method for finding out whether the AS is of a bad batch: http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/information/aquasoil_am2.php

That's not sound right.

Where is the QA of ADA?

I doubt there is any QA for any aquatic product, or maybe most pet products.

At least for big brands from respectable countries, such as ADA and Seachem, will honour what they state on the packaging and willing to do refund/exchange if things ain't right or even perform public announcement on the problem. If you are buying stuffs from smaller brands or brands from countries that are infamous of putting weird stuffs (mostly toxic) into the products, such as Taiwan and China, you probably won't know what is wrong until someone perform detail analysis/investigation into it.

Well, with the tank empty running since yesterday around lunch time, the ph raised to 7.4 or higher( dark blue) I also took a cup and added about half full of the ada soil, and filled the cup up with tap water. It did not lower the ph at all even after 18 hours. Looks like I will ordering some of the brightwell rio to give that new soil a try.

Well, with the tank empty running since yesterday around lunch time, the ph raised to 7.4 or higher( dark blue) I also took a cup and added about half full of the ada soil, and filled the cup up with tap water. It did not lower the ph at all even after 18 hours. Looks like I will ordering some of the brightwell rio to give that new soil a try.

I will receive my Brightwell soil tonight, will start a new post for it.

Very interesting and sad experience here about ADA. I have recently set up a tank and it decreased pH from 7.4 to 5.3 (amazing job). The bag is below. I had used my RO water mineralized with GH+ (not tap water).

Lp9Q6Ad.jpg

My answer is going to offer no help as it's all speculative. But my PRL tank is also using ADA AS. Not the type II (I don't think they make type II anymore) but even with the substrate breaking into 4 years old (by the end of this year) it's still buffering like a champ. Well... Probably not much to buffer since I use RO mineralized with salty shrimp gH+.

I definitely agree with what some other folks are saying about it being an outside factor causing the pH climb. I don't have rocks and only use driftwood and plants. I do inject co2 but I only at 1bps into a 10gal tank so it's not a huge amount.

I'd definitely recommend stepping back and checking if there's anything you could have added into the tank to cause the creep. Sometimes different brands don't mix well and a reaction between the two compounds might cause the creep.

Yeah sounds like a bad/old batch. I just setup a tank 5 days ago and used two 9L bags for a 30g and even AFTER my daily 100% water changes the PH was back down to 6.4 by the next morning.

I even had 1 of the 9L bags sitting in storage for 6 months before I got to use it.

I heard a lot same stories from other shrimp keepers.

it's not a isolated case.

This issue has been going for years already, and still no stopping.

I heard a lot same stories from other shrimp keepers.

it's not a isolated case.

This issue has been going for years already, and still no stopping.

Agreed. I've heard of people having trouble with ADA soils. There are probably bad batches and fake ones out there. But at least at this moment, it is still the most reliable shrimp substrate out there.

Agreed. I've heard of people having trouble with ADA soils. There are probably bad batches and fake ones out there. But at least at this moment, it is still the most reliable shrimp substrate out there.

I'm searching for other alternatives. Brightwell and ControSoil may be the one.

I'm searching for other alternatives. Brightwell and ControSoil may be the one.

Seems like a lot of folks are having issues with ADA Aquasoil. Sounds like it's time to move on and find a new substrate. Bostoneric was working on a getting a new line in if I remember correct. Maybe it will be more fail-proof.