30G Breeder

Greenteam

• 2 weeks later...

So figured it's time for an update on whats new.

First I removed all my UGF since they were making a mess on the bare tank side by always building up little bits of dust that it was sucking up. Now all 3 sections have sponge filters moving the water.

Also I have new shrimp in the sections so here's some updated photos.

post-168-0-11905100-1415592551_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-30829900-1415592587_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-87185100-1415592595_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-17075800-1415592669_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update! The shrimp seem to enjoy the bare bottom side more? Keep us updated!!

From what I noticed they sleep up top and when lights come on they jump down to look for food, even the limpets find food on the bare side.

Also the amount of snail poop is impressive when you can actually see their mess lol. I don't know if the shrimp are finding food in the snail poop like some breeders speculate, but I do know they go thru that stuff quite often.

I'm liking the fact that my substrate is so nice and clean even if I feed snowflake food.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great.

Wjat plant is in the third pic in post #34??? It looks awesome, but doesn't look like it grows lie phoenix moss does.

If you mean the one growing on the wood then that's true mini fissiden. I have Normal, Geppi, and Mini I will try to snap a picture off all 3 next to each other so you can see how each looks.

Look at all them micro bubbles haha! :)

Is the buce just tied onto small pieces of wood?

Yeah I went out and purchased a long branch piece from LFS and chopped it up. The end result looked like those deer antler treats you get for dogs so I thought it look cool.

I also notice the Buce attached super fast to the wood compared to the lava rocks that I had them on originally.

nice! which grade are the PRL?

PRL tend to be a beast of it's own. Hard to qualify as a grade.

Unlike normal crystals that are broken down into S-SSS, and patterns like Hino, Mosura crown, no entry, etc...

The PRL are more focused on color/coverage quality. So you could technically have a   S (better white) > SSS (crappy white)  

What breeders tend to do is break them up into entry levels (lowest quality) - competition grade  (top quality) and everything in between seems to be at the discretion of the breeders.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I do a quick update on whats new.

So it seems like all the shrimp have settled in and berried mums are starting to appear in the tank. In one section I have blue carbon rili's and one of the big females is now berried.

Also in the section that I'm trying to do my pinto project I now have a berried BKK female so crossing fingers on that one.

Last section would be the PRL which looks like they should be next since they reach mature age and the ladies are starting to show molt into bigger bodies making room for some babies lol.

Here's a few pictures. One of them been Fissiden 3 kinds next to each other normal, mini, geppi.

post-168-0-82132300-1417407445_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-88303200-1417407491_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-85628100-1417407547_thumb.jpg

How do you like the divided 30 breeder? Good idea, anything you would do differently? How about some pictures of the whole tank?

I really like having it divided since I get so many more options for shrimp in one tank and the foot space in the same as the 40G breeder so I don't get a clutter look when I did the half bare bottom side.

Also the size makes it so easy to maintain stable water parameters. Even been lazy this week and not doing top-off I had a change in TDS of maybe 5-6 in a 1 1/2 week period. 

If I had to change one thing right now is maybe upgrade my light from a 30" Finnex planted+ to a 36" so it bumps up the light just a tad bit. 

Other then that I was playing with some new ways to divide the tank, but testing it now so till I know it works I will keep the concept on the drawing board. 

• 3 weeks later...

So just got home from vacation and after sitting on auto pilot for 10 days the tank is still rocking out.

Some things I came home to was 4 PRL females berried and 2 more TB females berried. I'm not sure if the Tiger males are the fathers to the TB babies but I guess only time will tell.

Will try to snap some pictures of all the big berried moms running around.

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse my cellphone pics :D

So it's been a bit since I did any kind of update on the tank so I will give a run down of whats been new.

I'm on month 4 of no water change. What I'm doing now is just topping off with RO water and that's it. Every 3 weeks I will do a quick test of Gh/Kh to ensure no issues with parameters occur. This is been great since the tank is now running on auto pilot with light feedings every other day. 

All the plants are growing like crazy and I've had 0 algae issues since setup so happy about that.

Also I must have like 10+ berried females in the tank. From what I can tell I have the F1 generation running around right now and F2 do any week.

Here's some update pictures and some blurry pics of the new babies.

post-168-0-47582200-1420937153_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-20079700-1420937207_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-48381300-1420937235_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-80427600-1420937276_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-64241100-1420937305_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-75467500-1420937340_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-97596800-1420937372_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-97297600-1420937404_thumb.jpg