Controsoil available on Amazon

Got an email today:

I would like to share a great news which we just uploaded our Controsoil on Amazon.com. A 10L (approx. 20LBS) bag substrate is all $45.00ea w/ free shipping. We hope you would be still interested. Thank you.

Warm regards,

Kristin Sato

International Sales Representative

** updated link.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SQ8K5Q/ref=twister_B00LAOYUD8

Choose soil style then click on available from... Marfield is the seller. **

I bought the brightwell soil was made by this same company. This is popular in Europe. Here is the description from Amazon.

CONTROSOIL is a multi-purpose soil that is volcanic in origin. It lightly acidifies and softens aquarium water to create an environment conducive to fishes, invertebrates (including shrimp), and plants that must be maintained in these conditions (e.g. aquatic organisms originating in tropical rainforest habitats).

The shape and size of the substrate CONTROSOIL encourages the strong root development of aquatic plants; additionally, the substrate CONTROSOIL is quickly colonized by beneficial microorganisms that improve overall water quality. CONTROSOIL will not disintegrate or cloud aquarium water; it helps to clarify water and also removes impurities. CONTROSOIL may be used as a bottom substrate in all freshwater aquaria, not just those housing plants.

CONTROSOIL is made in Japan. Most Japanese breeders as well as photographers who take healthy aquarium fish photos prefer CONTROSOIL.

"Controsoil" controls COD at low levels and it prevents from algae growth. COD is an eutrophication (algae bloom) index of lakes or ponds. If the soil itself eutrophicates the water, it harms water quality, accelerates the growth of algae and creates an unsuitable habitat for fish. "Controsoil" is able to maintain COD at low levels and provides the best water condition.

No pre-wash is required. Long lasting grain maintains its original size and shape.

I like to buy things off amazon and since theres no ADA on there I'd definitely try it.

Just wondering....

how low does it buffer pH?

does it leech ammonia?

i just e-mailed those questions to the company. I will share their response

Sweet!

Very Interesting. Once we find out specifics. We need someone to be a guinea pig :thumbsu:

I ordered ordered a bag of this soil this morning for my new prl tank that i had issues with amazonia. I think this soil is very similar if not the same as the brightwell soil, and the oliver knott soil in europe. Ill let everyone know how it goes.

Seems it's cheaper than Brightwell soil. ($40/15lbs)

Definitely will try it out once available on Amazon.

One 15lbs bag of Brigthwell soil will fill two 10G. this one can do three 10G, so save $5 each.

So many new soils hitting the market! How excited for us shrimpers. [emoji38]

Finally.

Ive probably read this before but forgot...if you use a buffering soil with a high tap ph like 8.2 I know it will not last as long as the buffering capacity wears out faster but will it still drop the ph down below 7 or will it meet somewhere in between?

I updated the direct link in the original post. Choose the soil type/size then click on all buying options. Marfield is the seller/manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Marfied-Controsoil-20LBS-BROWN-FINE/dp/B00L9IHIYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1412305829&sr=1-1&keywords=Controsoil

I updated the direct link in the original post. Choose the soil type/size then click on all buying options. Marfield is the seller/manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Marfied-Controsoil-20LBS-BROWN-FINE/dp/B00L9IHIYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1412305829&sr=1-1&keywords=Controsoil

Thanks, link works this time.

It's from CA, nice. Sounds like Japan manufacture's direct retailer in US.

What size is best for a shrimp only tank? No plants just moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will use 3mm

Size fine is like aquasoil.

Extra fine is like powder.

Extra fine is pretty darn light.

I would go for the fine.

Got another email reply...

Q: How long will this soil buffer water to a low ph if RO water is used?

A: The span will vary due to the frequency / amount of water replaced. So we cannot give a specific time period, but we would say, “The substrate will last for about 1 year if you change out 1/3 of the water in the tank once a week.

Q: Is there any ammonia leach like some ADA soils?

A: No, Controsoil does not have any anmonia leach. Some of the prospective functions of Controsoil are PH adjustment, pigment adsorption, KH, and GH drop. The ammonia in the water tank will disintegrate by the power of the bacteria.

1 Ammonia (harmful )→2 nitrite (harm )→3 nitric (comparative no damage))

The bacteria which disintegrates from 1 to 2usually occurs in the water tank naturally. You should not expect autogenesis to happen when the bacteria disintegrates from 2 to 3. Nitric bacterium product can be added separately for better functionalization in the water tank. If your tank has living creatures / plants, the bacteria which disintegrates from 1 , 2 to 3 will increase naturally (but slowly), thus you will not need to add nitric bacterium product.

The biodegradation of ammonia performed in ADA is not a function in itself of ADA. The bacteria which propagated in the water tank breaks down ammonia.

The bacteria propagate in CONTROSOIL as much as bacteria propagate in ADA.

Got another email reply...

Q: How long will this soil buffer water to a low ph if RO water is used?

A: The span will vary due to the frequency / amount of water replaced. So we cannot give a specific time period, but we would say, “The substrate will last for about 1 year if you change out 1/3 of the water in the tank once a week.

Q: Is there any ammonia leach like some ADA soils?

A: No, Controsoil does not have any anmonia leach. Some of the prospective functions of Controsoil are PH adjustment, pigment adsorption, KH, and GH drop. The ammonia in the water tank will disintegrate by the power of the bacteria.

1 Ammonia (harmful )→2 nitrite (harm )→3 nitric (comparative no damage))

The bacteria which disintegrates from 1 to 2usually occurs in the water tank naturally. You should not expect autogenesis to happen when the bacteria disintegrates from 2 to 3. Nitric bacterium product can be added separately for better functionalization in the water tank. If your tank has living creatures / plants, the bacteria which disintegrates from 1 , 2 to 3 will increase naturally (but slowly), thus you will not need to add nitric bacterium product.

The biodegradation of ammonia performed in ADA is not a function in itself of ADA. The bacteria which propagated in the water tank breaks down ammonia.

The bacteria propagate in CONTROSOIL as much as bacteria propagate in ADA.

only 1 year with 1/3 weekly changes? :bummer.