Controsoil available on Amazon

There is a LFS here that is stocking this. I was skeptical when I seen it, they have just started so maybe I'll be asking them soon.

There is a LFS here that is stocking this. I was skeptical when I seen it, they have just started so maybe I'll be asking them soon.

Which store? If it's not too far, I will go to check it out.

Looking forward to a review.

Tempted to try this. I have 2x20 long, 2x40 breeder and 12x10 gallon tanks to buy substrate for. Any saving is a plus.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading that this is pretty much the same as Brightwell and a few other products which are made from the same base ingredients and in a very similar (if not the same) process. I have heard only good things about Brightwell and would have tried it myself but it was hard to source when i needed some. 

Any updates from the folks who bought this?

Im gathering soils, here is what i have so far.

Brightwell 

Controsoil 

Glasgarten 

unnamed new label

couple others tbd.

of course ada aqua soil

I am about to test out the new Glasgarten substrate as well.

I had Brightwell Black Fine (3mm), and ControSoil Black 1mm.

I like the Brightwell better. 

Here is a smell from ControSoil and 1mm is not accurate, the size is between Brightwell Fine (3mm) and ADA powder.

ControSoil $45 10L includes shipping ($11.30 actually cost of shipping to my place), so I can't complain lot.

I was moments away from buying the brightwell to use in a separate/partitioned rear section of a custom 55 gallon rimless tank I am using to house Taiwan bees and pintos/tibees for a fun Dr. Shrimpenstein project . The brightwell (as well as partitioning separate tank portion while still being able to use ada aquasoil africana/Amazonia for ph buffering benefits I KNOW won't fail) was recommended to me because I am a fan and diehard believer in UG filtration and try to use it in all of my new setups (which has resulted in nothing but positive outcomes including much better and steadier breeding from TBs and, more importantly, MUCH higher survival rate of offspring!). I definitely tend to go off track when writing (sorry to readers!) So back to the Controsoil....will it work over an undergravel filter without turning to mush??? I always get a disheartening feeling when reading the labels of any shrimp soil and they end with tiny print saying "NOT FOR USE WITH UNDERGRAVEL FILTER!" No explanations no other comments. I was shocked to see this on UP shrimp soil as it feels like I can load it in a BB gun and be just fine! Brightwell is basically crushed lava rock (put very simply ofcourse) and I can't see that "mushing" up so would Controsoil stand up the same? For the record I use UG filters under everything from ada aquasoil to fluval stratum , etc. And none of them have disintegrated on top while all appear to do that under the surface with UG filters and without for me:-/ Hope to get info soon because will be ordering today most likely! Thanks for any input :)

ok I have bags of controsoil, brightwell, glasgarten, and a couple unamed soils. and just judging by the looks and feel of the soil through the bag they all feel about the same and look very similar to aqua soil.

so I dont see any reason why they wont stand up just as well as AS over a UGF.  I mean even AS breaks down over time.

• 3 months later...

Does controsoil suppose to crush easily when you squeeze it? My UP Aqua Sand was pretty dense and I was not able to crush it with as little pressure as the bag of controsoil I just received. I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a tank if as soon as I add water it turns to mush.

Not to mention the piss poor packaging job Marfied made, bag was busted and spilling into the priority shipping box.

Does controsoil suppose to crush easily when you squeeze it? My UP Aqua Sand was pretty dense and I was not able to crush it with as little pressure as the bag of controsoil I just received. I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a tank if as soon as I add water it turns to mush.

Not to mention the piss poor packaging job Marfied made, bag was busted and spilling into the priority shipping box.

I think you would be fine.

send a msg to the seller about their packing. i've been hearing great things about their customer service.

many of us have had tanks up for a long time with this soil with no issues.

Is it their poor packaging or is it the poor handling of the carrier?

Many people don't realize the terrible handling of the carrier and just blame the seller. Oh poor sellers taking the blame :(

I saw two posts from peeps on NYPT where they had just purchased Controsoil - however, it had been subjected to freezing temperatures and crumbled to dust as a result. I believe they are being refunded. You might want to contact the seller and/or manufacturer.