Just thought I'd share this photo of a simple but beautiful Moss Ball!

Moss Balls are awesome! Easy to care for and add a beauty to a tank that not many other plants can.

post-430-0-30349900-1412971643.jpg

I have about 20 of the tiny, miniature moss balls in a small semi circle glass case in the tank. The bottom of the circle is flat and it

has stainless steel mess on the bottom. The fry can get into and out. But will the moss balls continue to grow

like this? The water flows through the little case. Or should I take them out and just let them sit in the tank wherever individually?

They are really tiny moss balls called Marimo moss balls.

i have a bit of a different perspective on these things. first off they are not moss they are a type of clado algae. and when conditions are right they wreak havoc on a tank. i had it happen saddly. they can send out spores and you cant get rid of it without taking the tank down and bleaching every thing. yes bleaching. for 3 years i fought the stuff. my moss balls were pretty but man did they make a mess. never again will i own one. 

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-take-care-of-marimo-balls/

i have a bit of a different perspective on these things. first off they are not moss they are a type of clado algae. and when conditions are right they wreak havoc on a tank. i had it happen saddly. they can send out spores and you cant get rid of it without taking the tank down and bleaching every thing. yes bleaching. for 3 years i fought the stuff. my moss balls were pretty but man did they make a mess. never again will i own one. 

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-take-care-of-marimo-balls/

That makes me want to take them out of my tank Wicca, the last thing I want is to have to bleach my entire tank because of some Marino balls. Even though I do have them in a small container. I think I will take them out and put them in a one gallon tank and watch them and see what happens. But I don't want them causing me issues in my main tank that I built specifically to be easier to take care of.

Do you suggest a moss ball that is truly a moss ball and good for the tank?

a true moss "ball" is not practical it will die and rot because the middle of a wad of moss could not get the light it needs to live. some like the marimo balls me i learned my lesson. very few have ever had the prob i had. and to be honest mine was from having the perfect environment for them to thrive in. it went nuts and basically started reproducing is what happened. since home tanks are not its natural environment it created the stringy clado algae instead of forming the ball shape. but once they set like mine did you can hardly kill it. 

a true moss "ball" is not practical it will die and rot because the middle of a wad of moss could not get the light it needs to live. some like the marimo balls me i learned my lesson. very few have ever had the prob i had. and to be honest mine was from having the perfect environment for them to thrive in. it went nuts and basically started reproducing is what happened. since home tanks are not its natural environment it created the stringy clado algae instead of forming the ball shape. but once they set like mine did you can hardly kill it. 

No wonder clad algae was only growing in tanks with marimo moss ball. The ones without, never grew such!!