Anyone familiar with the new blue dwarf crayfish on the market?

Louie

Anyone familiar with or keep the new "blue" dwarf crayfish on the market?

It is not a Cambarellus dwarf , Cajun dwarf .

I saw it for sale at a pet store but the owner did not know the scientific name for it nor much else .

Cherax destructor.....best scientific name EVER!

I sent you a link of the blue dwarf because not sure what the rules are as far as posting links to commercial sites . This is same blue dwarf my pet store had (sold out) . Think they got them from same source.

Every now and then blue and different colored ones show up in a live crawfish bag.

I scan all the bags at the market when I see live displayed. Hard to check when the bag may contain quite a few dozen.

I feel like Willy Wonka looking for the golden ticket :)

-Stef*

ShortGirl,

That sounds like them, The pet store I go to knows their stuff and the owner told me these did not grow over 1.5 and were not the Cajun dwarf crays .

They had a few and pale looking as you stated but 2 were a very nice deep blue .  They stood out .

I regret not getting them but since they had no idea of their scientific name nor any care info I did not . They sold them all in a few days.

ShortGirl,

That sounds like them, The pet store I go to knows their stuff and the owner told me these did not grow over 1.5 and were not the Cajun dwarf crays .

They had a few and pale looking as you stated but 2 were a very nice deep blue . They stood out .

I regret not getting them but since they had no idea of their scientific name nor any care info I did not . They sold them all in a few days.

Louie,

The next time they have them I'm going to get a few. They always carry the larger bright orange ones in with thier shrimp. I know I'm going to have hundreds of tanks of inverts and micro fish one day! The crazy shrimp lady!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This particular pet store carries unusual stuff and the woman who owns it knows her stuff but yet nothing on the tiny blue dwarfs as far as any info.

Either way I notice you keep rabbit snails . Some months ago they had golden rabbit snails which I never saw before.

Very pretty indeed.

I heard something about these but I don't know if they are truly dwarf or not...they would be super popular if they are I bet

Louie, I only check out my local grocery store, and haven't found any yet. There are roadside stands that deal in gross that I haven't tried yet. I don't like crawfish (to eat) and DarkCobra, believe it or not, is probably the only resident part cajun that is allergic to them.

LSU was doing experiments on them; using some sort of extreme light that makes them electric royal blue and purple, and I think they were breeding true?

There was a write up in a local paper. If I find it, I'll post it here.

Soothing, if I come across any, I'll ship them up your area so you can play with them.

I don't have the room to keep an aggressive fin nippy species only tank(s), although when the weather gets warmer, I can keep them outside in a "holding bin" for a bit to make them available to peeps on here.

-Stef*

Invertobsession has some dwarf electric blue crayfish for sale for 14 bucks each.  You can put them with Shrimp when they are small

and don't have their snippers fully grown, but I heard they will take a shrimp fry when they have their snippers fully grown, but don't

touch the larger shrimp. They are too slow to catch them and generally leave the shrimp alone. There are quite a few shrimp keepers

with crayfish in the tanks I've heard, but you can't keep two crayfish of the same species or they will fight for territory.

Stef,

Oh you are in Louisiana .  I have been there .   I have a friend who in the 70s had a turtle, fish farm place there and later until the mid 80s imported exotic animals for the pet trade such as sloths , monkeys , even cheetahs , Those were different times with no regulations , heck no internet .

People sold with catalogues using money orders or checks .

Doc,

As far as small crays I keep CPO's . I myself would never keep them with shrimp but either way these dwarf blues in theory are smaller and less aggressive but no one seems to have their scientific name nor place of origin.

I also see the Cajun dwarfs being sold as dwarf blues thus bit confusing.

Louie, 

Been down here since I met DarkCobra- 2008-2009.

The climate is great for aquaria!

But, exotics abound everywhere. Coming from Quakertown, Pennsylvania, there was a gentleman I knew who had black panthers, tigers, lions, assorted African hoofed animals and mammals. Not in a remote area, nor was it a zoo.

It was unnerving to hear lions roaring with a house full of Fisher Price swing sets directly across the street. I don't know how he got away with it. Other than the noise, by looking at the house, it didn't look like he owned a dog, let alone a menagerie.

:) Stef* 

Stef,

That would be unnerving . I would not want to live by someone who kept big cats .

I recall my friend sold several lion cubs but again those were different times, people were not as educated as now as far as wild pets .

I had 2 female fruit bats till they were grey with cataracts, they lived many years and tame as any dog (got them as babies) , They were kept outside in a large aviary with bat houses , perches , etc and we had a pair of keel billed toucans in another aviary right next to them.

We actually gave away several baby toucans from that pair.

I am pretty sure that toucans are still sold .

Louie, 

I've raised many a wild orphan, helped out at a legal zoo, groomed wolves, but large cats and something that can eat you are not meant to be pets.

Some people just keep them for the "wow" effect. I think it was Mark Twain who said, "God created the cat so that we may caress the tiger." There's where it should stay.

One of my cats is a bengal (created from asian leopard cats) but she's so far removed from the wild it's pathetic. She will not eat anything except her dry food. Not even fish or chicken. 

Her coat is the only thing wild about her.

I love fruit bats (actually all animals). 

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Now, about these blue craw-daddies... I think they are dwarf down here because the cajuns eat them before they hit maturity :)

Shouldn't eat blue food. Taint natural.

-Stef*

Yeah, who knows for sure, unless you are an expert or researched them very well, enough to know the differences. Because I sure don't.

Stef,

There is a show that used to be on Animal planet now it is re-runs which if you haven't seen it, You would enjoy . Called Fatal Attractions.

"One of my cats is a bengal"

There is a place not far from me that has been breeding caracals, servals , jungle cats and bengals for years .