Brightwell FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro-F shrimp substrate

On the product website, it said lower gh, is that true?

Not sure about it.

I do 25% water change weekly, so pretty hard to tell.

I can monitor the TDS though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi...newbie here and I have a question about the Brightwell substrate.   I have ordered some for a tank I want to put some caridina of some kind in.  I have only kept neos thus far.  So...do I just use this like I would eco complete?  Not cycling, etc. like ADA?  It sounds like some of you just put it in the tank, put in your remineralized water and then the shrimp.  I wondered if you did a regular fishless cycle on the tank?  I am sure I missed something in the post but just wanted to make sure I used it correctly.  I tried ADA without knowing I needed to cycle the soil first and what a mess! 

One other question....I have a tank was cycled but I really thought it was too crowded with plants and needed some free substrate area so when I did my major water change before adding my shrimp I did a little redecoration that ended up being major as I had to reattach moss, etc to driftwood.  The tank went into a mini cycle and is back on track today.  NOW to get to the question....do I need to change out the water again with my RO/DI remineralized water (which is already in there having gone through mini cycle) before adding my Bloody Marys or can I just add them when I am sure the cycle is mature?  I have eco complete in there and would like to lower the pH a tad...what would you suggest?

Hi...newbie here and I have a question about the Brightwell substrate.   I have ordered some for a tank I want to put some caridina of some kind in.  I have only kept neos thus far.  So...do I just use this like I would eco complete?  Not cycling, etc. like ADA?  It sounds like some of you just put it in the tank, put in your remineralized water and then the shrimp.  I wondered if you did a regular fishless cycle on the tank?  I am sure I missed something in the post but just wanted to make sure I used it correctly.  I tried ADA without knowing I needed to cycle the soil first and what a mess! 

One other question....I have a tank was cycled but I really thought it was too crowded with plants and needed some free substrate area so when I did my major water change before adding my shrimp I did a little redecoration that ended up being major as I had to reattach moss, etc to driftwood.  The tank went into a mini cycle and is back on track today.  NOW to get to the question....do I need to change out the water again with my RO/DI remineralized water (which is already in there having gone through mini cycle) before adding my Bloody Marys or can I just add them when I am sure the cycle is mature?  I have eco complete in there and would like to lower the pH a tad...what would you suggest?

You really don't need buffer type soil for caridina or neos. Are you talking about bee shrimp?

You don't need cycle the substrate as it doesn't leach any ammonia. but you still need to cycle your filters which takes a month minimum.

for Bloody Marys, again, you don't need buffer type soil. it prefers pH>7 environment. I keep mine in pH 7.5, GH 8 water.

Bloody Mary doesn't do well in acidic water.

No...keeping Bee shrimp in tank with Brightwell. I keep neos with inactive substrate. Sorry...didn't make that clear. I'm setting up a new tank for caridinas using the Brightwell.

I just got them from Dr. Foster and Smith site on Black Friday for $34/15lb bag...never try it before but I'm glad I bought it. Looks very promising and can be a good replacement for ADA Aquasoil...even for plants or shrimps.

A918BC1D-8742-4074-A651-AF05BC50EDA8_zps

68CA7050-7813-404F-91E1-ED73D671B342_zps

57251D73-1D44-46E4-8163-2899BFD7B1AF_zps

526ADAD0-452E-4D19-970D-206BC72AE53A_zps

I wonder if I can use the fine version under neath and the extra-fine on top...just like normal and powder type of ADA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking of doing some hybrid setups. Like drl mixed with amazonia. Amazonia and brightwell. Keep the tried and true and use some of the new stuff. I am in the processes of resting all my smaller tanks now that I moved

I set up a 10g with brightwell xf and have to say the water is soooo much clearer than ada. I just hope the buffering holds up for a long time.

Two days in and I can report that the substrate has not lowered PH. I have zero kH and my tap pH is 7.3

As a disclaimer, I am cycling the tank and there is 4ppm ammonia in there. I suppose this could be raising pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...