Brightwell FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro-F shrimp substrate

Just spent some time to read this thread. ControSoil seems interesting and I really like the fact that the grains have more uniformity than ada.

Wondering to clear up some stuff.

For folks using it, does it buff ph down or doesn't it.

Also, is ControSoil = Brightwell which ControSoil is indicated as a "made in japan" on amazon.

Can someone chime in and assist me. Thinking of buying a bag (on amazon) and trying it out for one of my tank to breed RedBees

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know but every thread on this stuff keeps me clicking and scrolling for the tenth time to get an answer I haven't even formulated a question to! It feels like everyone (including myself with 3 bags of it "about" to be used for last month or longer) is excited hopeful and slightly nervous so you aren't seeing like red pintos or higher ends TBs in the pics of which I thought more would come. My prediction and it's based on !!nothing scientific at all!! It will fall short of keeping a ph low enough to Breed taiwan bees. I don't understand how I see lots of trustful members refer to up shrimp sand (new) as getting the ph down so low or at all... I love it but the non efficoency on ph buffering /lowering has forced me to stick to ada and now just a little "taste test " with brightwell so I can put thT spark back in making a fresh tank with new stuff!!! Maybe I'll take some pics for once! Lol

End of rAnt

DAVID

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in trying this but does anyone know if it's available in Canada.

AFAIK there is no retailers or distributors here in Canada for Brightwell or Controsoil.  The only choices here are ADA, Fluval and Up Aqua Sand

Thanks jumpsmasher (badminton player?). So limited up here.

yes but not as active as i used to be :P

I forgot about Netlea - if you are out east, you can get it thru AquaInspiration.  If you are out west you can try Akadama from one of the bonsai shops in Surrey or Vancouver. 

Limited yes, but you know ADA, even with some of its drawbacks, work well. And apparently the new fluval stuff is a different formulation and it looks pretty promising - both me and woopderson are currently testing it (see our journals).  We are pretty lucky to even have ADA because when i started my first shrimp rack a few years ago i had to bring ADA in from the States.  

Even if someone manage to get Brightwell or Controsoil thru customs (hard to so with anything called "soil", maybe less so with Brightwell), unless you order it in by the pallet (100+ bags), the freight costs would mean they would automatically be $20-30 more than a bag of ADA - not sure if many people would pay that.

I don't know but every thread on this stuff keeps me clicking and scrolling for the tenth time to get an answer I haven't even formulated a question to! It feels like everyone (including myself with 3 bags of it "about" to be used for last month or longer) is excited hopeful and slightly nervous so you aren't seeing like red pintos or higher ends TBs in the pics of which I thought more would come. My prediction and it's based on !!nothing scientific at all!! It will fall short of keeping a ph low enough to Breed taiwan bees. I don't understand how I see lots of trustful members refer to up shrimp sand (new) as getting the ph down so low or at all... I love it but the non efficoency on ph buffering /lowering has forced me to stick to ada and now just a little "taste test " with brightwell so I can put thT spark back in making a fresh tank with new stuff!!! Maybe I'll take some pics for once! Lol

End of rAnt

DAVID

I use up aqua sand, it buffers my RO to 6.2 just fine, nice and stable.

When I visited Han we were talking about the UP Aqua sand and yours and others experiences with it buffering.  I use RO water with a starting pH of 6.8 added it to the tank after cycling and it didnt lower to 6.2-6.4 until I added peat.

I'd much rather Controsoil or Brightwell over Up Aqua Sand. UpAqua is very expensive.  I've had ok experience with it a couple years ago on my desk tank in my office.  but I'm also switching over all my tanks to controsoil now from ada.  Controsoil was recommended to me by a couple Japanese breeders along with a couple other breeders many months ago.  

yes but not as active as i used to be :P

I forgot about Netlea - if you are out east, you can get it thru AquaInspiration.  If you are out west you can try Akadama from one of the bonsai shops in Surrey or Vancouver. 

Limited yes, but you know ADA, even with some of its drawbacks, work well. And apparently the new fluval stuff is a different formulation and it looks pretty promising - both me and woopderson are currently testing it (see our journals).  We are pretty lucky to even have ADA because when i started my first shrimp rack a few years ago i had to bring ADA in from the States.  

Even if someone manage to get Brightwell or Controsoil thru customs (hard to so with anything called "soil", maybe less so with Brightwell), unless you order it in by the pallet (100+ bags), the freight costs would mean they would automatically be $20-30 more than a bag of ADA - not sure if many people would pay that.

Haha who has time to play when there's shrimpin to be done.

Thanks, I'm in Vancouver. Maybe I'll head out to Surrey and check it out. I tried Vancouver before without any luck.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check out your journal.

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this substrate? How has it fared over time? I'm still unclear if it is inert or not for planted setups.

I'd like to use this for a planted 29gal, and maybe just some amano shrimp

I have Britghwell (brown) in 3 tanks: 2.6g Spec with mischling shrimp in it, 5g Chi with Taiwan Bees and mayphly's tibees, and 5.5g with Aura Blues and my "rilli" cherries. I have one tank with ADA and I love Brightwell over amazonia! My tank with amazonia looks somehow dirty where all tanks with Brightwell look clean and nice. I think in all of those tanks ph is about 6.6-6.8. I don't use RO water but mixed of distilled and tap water.

1 hour ago, Jadenlea said:

Isn't this the stuff that *was* controsoil?

then bought out by foster and smith?

nope brightwell and controsoil are not owned by dr.foster smith.   The rumor is/was that the company that makes/made controsoil also makes brightwell and oliver knott soil .

but now you have an even better option. SL-Aqua substrate. The new #1 selling shrimp soil in the USA! 

with an unbeatable price. $40 per bag SHIPPED priority mail.

http://www.discobee.com/collections/sl-aqua/products/sl-aqua-nature-soil

LOL  Eric.  Ill keep that in mind.  RIght now Im just using Peat and it seems to work well.

So is brightwell  the controsoil?   I  swear I remember hearing that the controsoil was just renamed to the brightwell when it was pulled

2 hours ago, Jadenlea said:

So is brightwell  the controsoil?   I  swear I remember hearing that the controsoil was just renamed to the brightwell when it was pulled

no thats not correct.  brightwell has been available for years, just never really caught on because its only availability seems to be dr.fostersmith.

and between their price and low stock doesnt make it easy for people.