SS gh/kh vs SS gh+

Soothing Shrimp

I just went through a large jar of SS gh/kh for my neos this year and figured I would write up what my feelings are.  Keep in mind, this is only my opinion and should be taken as such. heh

SS gh/kh actually uses more product to remineralize.  1 scoop to 2g as opposed to 1 scoop to 3g with SS gh+

SS gh/kh is harder to dissolve, whereas SS gh+ dissolves very fast.

SS gh/kh didn't always give me the same TDS per scoop.  I'm guessing this is because it incorporates 2 different powders to create 2 different things: gh and kh.  These ratios can be "off" as the powder is used up.

I saw less breeding with SS gh/kh.  Now, having said that, it could be lots of other things involved too.  Extra long winter, TDS change, etc.  So this may or may not have played a role in it.

In short, I'm going back to SS gh+.  One jar for all my species of shrimp.  Jar lasts longer, almost instant dissolving, TDS is roughly the same per scoop, and already since I've been using it I've noticed berries again- although as noted, this may be due to other reasons as well.

Other opinions welcomed. These are just my very unscientific observations. :geek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I have both the gH+ and the gH/kH as well.  My concern for my neos was that the pH would get to low for them once I made the switch to RO water, as the pH of all the RO water I've tested has been 6.  Then when you add in some IAL's, which my shrimp love, the pH would go even lower.  So I wanted to get something to keep my pH at around 7, and definitely to not let it go below 6 for my neos.  I have a bunch of babies...from teeny tiny to juvie size, and two very berried females right now...so I am thinking my shrimp are liking the gH/kH.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have both the gH+ and the gH/kH as well.  My concern for my neos was that the pH would get to low for them once I made the switch to RO water, as the pH of all the RO water I've tested has been 6.  Then when you add in some IAL's, which my shrimp love, the pH would go even lower.  So I wanted to get something to keep my pH at around 7, and definitely to not let it go below 6 for my neos.  I have a bunch of babies...from teeny tiny to juvie size, and two very berried females right now...so I am thinking my shrimp are liking the gH/kH.

RO water has no buffer capabilities. This means that it will not influence the overall pH, which is entirely dependent on the remineralizer and its buffer system.