who here keeps dwarf crays?

Ok so I love crays, I kepta wild cray in my 10g for a few months, I wound up to be a definit non dwarf cray, had 2 molts in 1 week, reached 6" ate about $50-$60 worth of stuff, into a pond it went,but I reallyy want some more crays, I can't get any for awhile because I can't getanother tank, but I was looking at the electric blue and dwarf orange, and I settled that I liked the orange better, now I know nothing about dwarf crays so I need some help here, can I kep mutiples togther?(I've seen conflictinginfo on this) what plants can I safly keep they with? What's the smallest tank size you'd recomend? Breeding? Food? Average size? I have seen so many diffent things about them so I want to ask here so I can get the best info possible.

Also any tips or other info is appreciated, thanks.

I keep the dwarf orange.  I have them in a 40 gallon (maybe 10+ of them)  but the still fight and pull claws or legs off each other.  I have them with my blue rili shrimp and have never seen them catch them....if they are they suck at it since the population of blue rili is getting larger.  My large male is probably 1.5 or so inches. 

If you are looking to get into them let me know, I am trying to downsize some stuff and I they aren't going to be making the cut.

i have never noticed them eating plants. 

I kept and bred both CPO's the orange dwarfs and Blue Shufeldti (specifically blue genetics)  I can tell you from experience that you need a good sized tank for the CPO's...more space is better.  They are explorers and move around the tank constantly, so if there is another CPO in the area they will fight with it.  Females are larger than males, but males are very aggressive and territorial so they will hunt down the other males and kill them....then chase the females constantly. :sword:  I have had a female kill my male too, and its not a pretty sight.

I usually remove Mamma's when they are berried to a hang on breeder box to give her some peace, once she drops those babies I pull her immediately as she will eat them.  Babies are fed on squished pond snails for the meat as it is high in protein and they grow fast on it.  I keep LOTS of moss in the tank with them and when they are up a bit (approx. 3 weeks) I move the babies to a tank for them only, as parents will kill baby crays!  In the rearing tank I have caves made of small clay pots buried in the substrate, rocks to hide under, driftwood, cholla wood, and as I mentioned tons of moss, so much its hard for them to get around, but it keeps them separated.  Once they are bigger I sell them off, and start again.

Ive had mine with shrimps too and its funny to see a shrimp land on the crays head and it doesn't even know its there....they won't catch a shrimp unless the shrimps on the way out anyway!

Shufeldti is a whole other type of dwarf....these are very peaceful with each other and I have kept 20+ in a 10 gallon tank.  They are not like CPO's and hide a lot, you usually don't see them at all unless you move something in the tank.  They are smaller in size than CPOs ( which I prefer)   I like to see my crays.

I did find a dwarf blue cray from Taiwan that our  LFS had in and they were much bigger than CPO, but didn't grow as big as the Electric Blues which can get to 5" and will eat all your plants and fish  :growl: Bred them too.... :thumbsd:

I really liked this little blue cray, but found out they only get males, so no breeding (figures)   I had mine in my 120 gallon filled with swords,tetras,barbs etc and it was funny to watch him try to catch these fish....never gonna happen!

I will be getting some crays in the New Year, just need some time to fix a tank up for them....love those little guys.

• 2 months later...

I have 2 female blue diminitis crays.  They are very laid back, when they meet one another, they just move around and go on about their business.  These are a very dark almost steel blue in color and the shell is dense, not see thru.

I am looking for some males, so if anyone has a couple for sale, please let me know.

thanks.

here's a pic.  its sitting on the rock....almost black looking.

2wfs8ht.jpg

post-530-142476251096_thumb.jpgpost-530-142476252269_thumb.jpg

I have been breeding cambarellus diminutus for a little over a year. I love these things. I have males but there is quite the waiting list. If you want to be added to the list send me a message on here or on my Facebook page (Search Tamed Waters)

Haha...I did just that today.  I bought another 6 of the blue diminitus crays and turned them upside down in a small container with a light on them and a magnifier.....turns out I have at least 1 male, and would you believe my luck I got a berried female too!   Now this is a great jumpstart to my breeding program.

I've kept the dwarf cajun crays before, they were easy to keep, did not eat plants, and pretty friendly towards one another. They berried twice but I don't know what happened after that because I stopped taking care of that tank :( 

I housed the male and female in a 10 gallon tank that was lightly planted and had a large piece of lace rock in it with lots of holes/caves. They never really went after my fish but they might for things with longer fins. All inverts imo are opportunistic feeders so everyone can tell you they'll do fine with so and so but if a dumb one just goes in front of the cray, it'll attack. 

Monty,

Did you find the blue shufeldti bred true and kept the blue color?  I hear a lot of people saying they lose it because it is caused by a particular mineral deficiency.  

How do you find the diminutus compared to shufeldti?  If they're more peaceful than cpos, I'd be very interested in getting some.  How were prices?

I had purchased 2 pair of blue bred shufeldti, so most of the offspring from these were also blue in color, more of a blue/grey than a definite blue.

The shufeldti were very peaceful together, but tended to hide a lot, not like CPOs.  These Diminitus seem to

get along well together, they just move around one another, but don't fight.  I like them a lot.

The diminitus on the other hand does change color...they can be brownish, greyish or very dark blue almost black.  These are the ones I have.  The one that is berried is sooo dark I can hardly see her against the gravel, she blends in with the black pieces.  I have a male that is blue, and another female that is more of a steel blue, and then another dark one.

I will post pics of the babies from the berried female once she has them as I am not sure who is the father, she was in a tank

with lots of them when I purchased her....just my luck I found she was berried. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well an update on Mamma dimi...I thought she'd dropped the eggs being a 1st time Mommy, so I pulled her and took

her to a Fish Show where she won 1st place in Ivertebrate class.   Cool.

Then last week when I went to clean out the marina box I pulled out a snail and disturbed the substrate, and ended up with a flurry of pale little creatures all floating around the box....approx. 20 of them.   Baby dimis.

They are actively eating good and I now just swish the water around to net all uneaten food and they get swished around with it, then settle back down into the substrate/gravel in the box.

I also found one lone baby in my other shrimp tank that I had re-designed for my upcoming fancy tigers/ellen wang CRS. it was sitting on a piece of driftwood and its pale blue.  Ive decided to leave it in there until its bigger then I will transfer it to another tank for crays.  It must have been on a piece of moss I pulled out of the marina box and tossed into that tank.

Its sooo tiny I cannot get a decent pic of it.

I've tried to kept some, well actually 6 cray in my 15g tank.. 1 died eated by its kind after molt 2 days ago, she strungling moving around avoiding other crays.

I wonder, how long does it take for their shell to be hardened after they molt?

and just today, another cray molt, and he lost his arm T_T.... will it grow again ?