Planaria catcher

Subtletanks91

So I made a catch pen out of a test tube, ink pen thing (had no ink and soaked in bleach) and crimped one end to make the opening smaller, I put in a hikari carnivore pellet. But there's no planaria going in it??? Wat else can I use for bait???

I know there is some in there as I have a moonlight and see them cruising around at night....also I have noticed whenever I see pics of tanks, or people posting about planaria, they almost all have Amazonia.... Kinda makes me wonder a bit.

Gotta love the diy aquarium tools. I have a few jury rigs myself, not of the catcher yet though. I have done my fair share of research on the topic though. And to make any kind of dent in the infestation, you would have to starve the planaria before they will rush into the catch. And it could take weeks to completely rid the tank of it. So one could put their shrimp in a standby tank while this was going on.. alternatively, you could feed just veggies until the planaria numbers are down or completely gone to your liking. Leaves would work to help change up their diet a bit while they wait for their gourmet shrimp pellets/granules :)

I have seen the occassional planaria in my tanks when i disturb the substrate and rarely when just staring in. But just in case I did my reading and decided I would try some benibachi planaria zero if i can ever find any. Thats the route i would take, have read a lot of good reviews on it. Maybe someone has used it here that can comment on it.

Well good luck with the hunt and nice job on the diy catcher :D

I have no planaria I just don't want to use it. Last time I used it to try and kill my ramsphorns, 5adult cherris died. Overnight. Not fun to wake up to lol.

I want a catch pen but it's hard to find. I'm in contact with someone over seas for some items to import. But that's always a waiting game for when he replies.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got this in the mail last week.  Its made by Dake-Aqua and I got it for 8 bucks, that included the shipping cost also.  So not a bad deal.  It is made out of acrylic and should do the trick. 

I dont have an immediate need to use it, I got it just in case I need to though.  Kind of like fire arms =)

Planaria Catcher

Yeah I was thinking about getting those to. There a lot of stuff on an Australian website I want but they never emailed me back about shipping.

http://www.iscapeaquatics.com.au/index.php?main_page=conditions

I just sucked it up and bought a catch pen from a member on tpt.

I see. I have never seen it happen in my smaller tank , in my bigger planted tank it is impossible to count the shrimp.

I imagine the trap works by luring the planaria in there with bait , than you remove the trap/planaria and re-bait?

Personally I think the traps make you feel good because you are able to see planaria caught, but they are still everywhere- even if unseen.

A while back when I had a planaria problem someone told me about planaria zero.  I did some research and found it was not uncommon to have shrimp deaths from the use of it.  This was one of my prized tanks with an unusual strain of cherries.  I really couldn't afford to have any die.

So, after some more research, I found fenbendazole wouldn't hurt my shrimp.  After some more research I found "fish bendazole" has a more active ingredient than just dog wormer (at least that's what I read) and it just made me feel better knowing it was for aquariums.

.1g per tenner.  Mix in a cup of tank water and pour it in.  Turn off light.  Wait 3 days, and repeat if needed.  Some people do a water change.

That simple, and worked great.  None of my ramshorns died off.  I took out my mystery as a precaution (and take any nerites out as well if you have any.)

I now have stocked up on this, and if hydra tag along to me from a shipment I use .05g.  A nice low dose and over the next 3-4 days hydra disappears.

Hardly ever use it now, but nice to know it is there.

• 5 months later...

Personally I think the traps make you feel good because you are able to see planaria caught, but they are still everywhere- even if unseen.

A while back when I had a planaria problem someone told me about planaria zero. I did some research and found it was not uncommon to have shrimp deaths from the use of it. This was one of my prized tanks with an unusual strain of cherries. I really couldn't afford to have any die.

So, after some more research, I found fenbendazole wouldn't hurt my shrimp. After some more research I found "fish bendazole" has a more active ingredient than just dog wormer (at least that's what I read) and it just made me feel better knowing it was for aquariums.

.1g per tenner. Mix in a cup of tank water and pour it in. Turn off light. Wait 3 days, and repeat if needed. Some people do a water change.

That simple, and worked great. None of my ramshorns died off. I took out my mystery as a precaution (and take any nerites out as well if you have any.)

I now have stocked up on this, and if hydra tag along to me from a shipment I use .05g. A nice low dose and over the next 3-4 days hydra disappears.

Hardly ever use it now, but nice to know it is there.

I have used fenbendazole on planaria but it barely made a dent in my experience. I'll have to try the fish bendazole because I still have some planaria.

The fenbendazole worked amazingly well on some hydra that were sitting on my sponge filter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm traps sound ok but still wont do the job. In my case I still had tons of them even after using the trap several times because I would catch the big guys, but all the baby planaria would avoid it and just repopulate.

So in my fit of rage I went to petco and purchased dog dewarmer and dumped half a packet into the shrimp tank (5g tank lol). Shrimp completely unfazed and the planaria was whipped out 2 days later.

Also used the same stuff when I had hydra.

post-168-0-34377200-1412857437.jpg

*shrugs* Just my experience, however it work(s) great for me.

I have used fenbendazole on planaria but it barely made a dent in my experience. I'll have to try the fish bendazole because I still have some planaria.

The fenbendazole worked amazingly well on some hydra that were sitting on my sponge filter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the NAG pen, but I think it just depends on the bait you use and you have to make sure

the hole where they go in is pointed down on the substrate.  When I had an issue with worms,

and Planaria, it didn't seem to matter what I put in there, very few went into the trap.

I tried bacon, turkey, ham, pieces of raw shrimp, but none seemed to work. I haven't had any

problems with Planaria lately, but I will try the Ken's Veggie Sticks for bait in the NAG trap if

I have to use it again and see it that will work for me.

totally agree. i've tried many different things. kens worked the best for me in this tank. but in another tank it wasn't as successful.  i find it best to feed your shrimp just before the lights go off for the night. this draws out the planaria and at the same time you feed put the pen in.