Mangrove

metageologist

Mangroves will need a very big tank when even 1/4 grown, they get huge.

Yes I'm think they would go in my 75 gallon tank. The nice thing is that they can be trimmed and they should flower. My last obstacle will be the wife I need to convince her to let me hang a T5 HO fixture from the living room ceiling. So they and my plants will have sufficient lighting. I may have to wait until my daughter graduates high school so I can have my office back. That will only be another 17 years.[emoji12]

Ahahaha, why not just a metal halide fixture that sits on the ground and goes above the tank? That may not make sense.

I'm not a fan of the MH fixtures due to all the heat they put out. I have enough Issues keeping this tank under 80 in the summer. However I do like the shimmer effect. Mind you last time I looked into MH fixtures was 5+ years ago.

I'm not a fan of the MH fixtures due to all the heat they put out. I have enough Issues keeping this tank under 80 in the summer. However I do like the shimmer effect. Mind you last time I looked into MH fixtures was 5+ years ago.

The heat is bad, the cost of the bulbs is high and they last a relatively short amount of time with the bulb efficiency constantly diminishing.

The heat is bad, the cost of the bulbs is high and they last a relatively short amount of time with the bulb efficiency constantly diminishing.

Well that confirms it I'll leave the MH to the reef guys. But even they are abandoning them for LED's. One of my local fish stores has gone all LED on there show and frag tanks. I suppose I could get one of those those small pendent lights, it may be acceptable to the wife.

BTW I think the mangrove idea is terrific.

Thanks, I hope to find some one who has done this in a shrimp tank allready since they will pull salts and other minerals out of the water. I don't want pH issues because I put a new plant in.

The species that I have been looking into will grow in water that is either, fresh, brackish or salt.

I ever thought of this before a couple of years back when I was laying on Maldives' beach. And I had looked into it too. Most mangrove has the ability to expel salt on onto their leaves and this is why they are able to live at sea water and brackish water. However, if they have been living in water that has extremely high calcium, magnesium and strontium, it means they will need very hard water fresh water for them to survive.

I think this will need botanist to answer our doubt.

I ever thought of this before and had looked into it. Most mangrove has the ability to expel salt on onto their leaves and this is why they are able to live at sea water and brackish water. However, if they have been living in water that has extremely high calcium, magnesium and strontium, it means they will need very hard water fresh water for them to survive.

I think this will need botanist to answer our doubt.

I found a supplier who grows them in fresh water. And they say they will transition to fresh water with different peramiters. But they can't go to salt or brackish like some other species.

Any one here a botanist that cab answer our questions. I can ID a rock for you in exchange.

I thought about this a while back. I think it is quite possible to have these in a freshwater tank and not have to worry about hair algae or green water because of light strength/duration.

That's good. My only hang up with the lights is to have sufficient intensity to reach the bottom of the tank. In my current set up I have mostly low light plants with a few medium. And i realy don't want to remove the mods as they give me some red in my tank and I'm working in growing dwarf hair grass across the front of the tank.

• 5 weeks later...

i have a bunch growing in my 20long ! i have cherry shrimps with them and a ton of fish. had them in my brackish and will eventually switch them back in there when i move too.

What species of mangrove are you growing. I was looking at red mangrove.

red mangroves. i bought them from ebay but there is a better seller i wish i would have purchased mine from. he posts on the fb usa shrimp & plants group.

Thanks for the info. I will need to watch for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try them Metageologist ?

Not yet waiting for temprature to get above 0 here so I know they will live. The sources I have found deal in them for terrestrial. So I'm not expecting cold weather shipping, so I need to wait.

• 2 weeks later...