purigen

You want to really tear your hair out? Over on another forum, it is accepted knowledge that "all good bacteria will die off if there are no fish in the tank for 30 days, you should never try to break cycles of parasites/diseases by leaving the tank empty that long." They had never heard of adding ammonia to keep the cycle going! I mean, I'm all for breaking everything down and bleaching if anything is suspect, but they frown on THAT, too! They said that it was BETTER to have disease organisms in their tanks because it made the fish healthier! ARGH!

I love using purigen.  It is a great product.  I only have 2 tanks, so I just buy the individual bag on Amazon for $8.  I have a Hamburg Mattenfilter - so (thanks to Soothing for suggesting this) I place the bag behind the foam block in the bottom of the tank under the intake tube.  Works great.  Until Soothing suggested this, I was hanging it attached with a large paperclip to the return tube.  Looked really dumb!

I don't try to recharge them - too busy to deal with it - and a bit lazy.  I just throw them out and put in new ones when they get dark brown.

I love Purigen. For me it is must have. I've been using it for years. I had no idea it could just be hung in a tank but good to know!! Perhaps hang right above the sponge filter so water is forced past it?

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I only use a double sponge filter, where would be the best place to put the bag?[/

Get a hang on back filter or internal filter. Or hang it in tank, but personally that sounds unsightly and likely not effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son had problems with his 15 gallon tank being cloudy.  (He's away @ college).  I told him the stories I'd read in forums about how purigen made water clear overnight and such and told him I thought those were exaggerations, but it sounded like a good thing to try.   I used chemi-pure back in the day, but really have not kept anything that needed it for quite some time.  So I bought him a bag of purigen and told  him not to expect too much, but it might help.  I told him that the diffusion gradient (sort of osmosis) would be sufficient to allow it to work - as that was what we used with chemi-pure in some systems.   He called the next day and said that if it were not for the algae on the glass he would not be able to tell there was water in the tank.  He'd hidden the bag behind some decoration in the corner and said the beads were already turning tan.  That was in November.  The purigen is still in there and still doing it's job.  

I am actually amazed!!! WOW! It's one thing to hear the stories and another to see it myself!

I just crammed it a bit behind the dual sponge, just sitting there so one of the sponge arms holds it in place a little. 

I didn't realize how 'dark' my tank was (just chalked it up to lighting and choice of colors/plants). Now that I see the difference I am amazed. I can see all the way to the back of the tank easily (hard to explain) and the water is very 'crisp' and clear looking.

This is now a must have for all my tanks. Even without an HOB of any kind it made a HUGE difference!

• 3 weeks later...