My First Mk style shrimp breeding tank

Tranggalangg

One of the things that MK looks for when a tank is ready is a green tank ( stable micro organism system ) The glass will be covered with a light dusting of green algae, which is perfect food for shrimps ! If you look at my post on 10g MK style setup, towards the end of the 2 week period where the lights are on for 24/7, the glass walls of the tank are all green. 

I threw an amano in to help with the cycle process.

02670486308d4f1272355d442a36ed37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you check your Ammonia?  No additional ammonia source should be required when using ADA Amazonia, adding the Amano will probably add nothing and could just kill the shrimp. 

ah I see. Would it cause hair algae too? I hate hair algae. I don't mind the green on the glass.

Sweet!!! My tanks doesn't have too much algae so I'm constantly feeding them pelleted foods and snowflake. Like kuism said, they'll feed off the green algae so make sure you grow a ton of it. The algae will help cycle your tank and have the perfect and ideal conditions conducive to

breed and grow babies.

Because the aim is to grow algae (hence the 24/7 photoperiod) I think you might grow BBA (which is beautiful black bushy algae) and maybe even staghorn. Staghorn isn't my favorite but it reminds me of little black corals. My old tanks used to have it when I first started.

Green tanks are so lovely. [emoji1]

I threw an amano in to help with the cycle process.

02670486308d4f1272355d442a36ed37.jpg

You really don't need any fish/shrimp to help with cycling process.

ADA soil would do the trick.

It's been about 8 days since my tank has been set up. The light has been on for 24hrs a day and now I'm starting to develop algae on the side of the glass. Weird fuzzy algae is also growing on my cholla log. And my branching wood still has that nasty white stuff on it. Next week I am going to do a 25% water change and try to suck up that white fungus or mold.

e92db15fb3744b4bed6271e60bd8fef2.jpg

eacb37e11014e01fddd6381d44eff05d.jpg

a432d91c0fd772445fee2804880384d5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It shouldn't be a problem I have a 4 bulb t5 high output light. And plenty of fert.

Shrimp doesn't like strong light and fertilizer.

I only use low light plants and no CO2 and fertilizer.