Yellow shrimp, but how

Hi shrimp party people,

This seems to be an active forum with experienced members. I've got a question, maybe someone around here knows the answer.

I've got a mix tank where I put in all kind of shrimp. Just for the fun of it, no cross breeding intentions. But a while ago, three nice yellow shrimp popped up. I'm 99% sure the mother is a Tangerine Tiger. But I can't figure out who's the daddy :phew:

The moment the mother got berried there were about this varieties in the tank:

Crystal Red

Crystal Black

Crystal Red Spotted head

PRL Crystal Red

Taiwan Bee Panda / King Kong

Tangerine tigers

Normal tigers

Light Blue Tigers

Two Black Cherry shrimp but they died soon and I thought both were female

Red bolt

Blue bolt

Princess Bee

Should be all of them.

Any idea? :D

Pics:

image.jpg

yellow_shrimp_1.jpg

yellow_shrimp_2.jpg

Good looking yellow shrimp! That looks just like a yellow King Kong. From the very limited info out there about yellow king kongs, they're a cross (or result of multiple crosses) between tigers and Taiwan bees. So my guess is the father is either a panda/BKK or a blue bolt.

By the way, that's a good variety in a single tank!

Wow! Gorgeous Caridina Yellow Shrimp. It would have to come from a cross breeding from a Tiger and TB. I don't think any TB alone TB x TB carries a yellow gene, unless already crossed with a Tiger. Similar to the yellow on Super Tigers. Hope you try to breed more of them, I am sure many would be interested here.

The Taiwan Bee / Shadow Bee are pure, not mixed with anything else. All I can do I suppose is to breed more with this 3 yellow ones haha. I could not resist putting one yellow one female with egg spot in my Black Shadow Bee tank. Just to see if they breed or not. After that I will try to separate those 3 and see if it can be stabilized. Maybe in the meantime more show up.

If anyone has a clue though, feel free to post it here.

Are you sure? I thought a lot of people crossbreed TT x KK already, but I've not seen yellow cardina shrimp besides the 'Yellow King Kong' from Silane?

For example TT x KK: http://www.sharnbrookshrimp.co.uk/TiBee_Shrimp_Tangerine_x_KK_Cross_F1_Hybrids_p/tibee-tt.htm

TIBEE-TT-2.jpg?1381656427

But to test, I will add a female TT in my Black Shadow Bee tank and see what will happen!

Also I forgot to tell this: When they eggs of the female TT hatch I saw about 15 baby shrimp. 12 turn out to be quite normal TT with slightly color variations and 3 where the yellow one. Thats how I think it was, because a lot of shrimp in this tank it's not 100% sure to say.

Yeap, It's Caridina sp yellow. aka Yellow KK.

Ellen Wang did before. and her Yellow KK breeds true now.

Silane is not the only one who has them. However, it looks like you're the only one here with the data/experience so we'll know the answer to your question after you're done with your experimentation. Not many breeders share this kind of information so all we are doing is passing on what we heard.

I think one of the biggest reasons why shrimp genetics are so unclear to us is because we keep them in groups and it's hard to obtain hard solid data to base our hypotheses on. It'd be nice if you could isolate individual pairs to see what each specific cross results in.

Good points. Few people do good controlled experiments (and share the data). And importantly, the outcome has to be reproducible. Too much of the information is based on anecdotes. 

Awesome shrimpmaster that you are sharing the information you have (great pics, as well). This is what makes the difference between somebody who is a real shrimp enthusiast and somebody who is foremost businessman/woman. One reason why I love this forum is that many people share their information lilted secrets.

Thanks everybody for your contribution. So I will continue this topic with the evolvement of my experiments and with the goal to breed a group of them.

About sharing information. For me this is clear. When you share information we will evolve faster and better together. And by sharing information you force yourself to keep improving instead of sitting back and profit form your temporary lead. Other people will find out after all. But I will be honest, when some magic shrimp pops up, I will keep the information for myself for a while, just to enjoy being the only one in the world for a moment haha. And then share it anyways. :thumbsu:

I will update this topic when something new happens.

Are you sure? I thought a lot of people crossbreed TT x KK already, but I've not seen yellow cardina shrimp besides the 'Yellow King Kong' from Silane?

For example TT x KK: http://www.sharnbrookshrimp.co.uk/TiBee_Shrimp_Tangerine_x_KK_Cross_F1_Hybrids_p/tibee-tt.htm

TIBEE-TT-2.jpg?1381656427

But to test, I will add a female TT in my Black Shadow Bee tank and see what will happen!

Also I forgot to tell this: When they eggs of the female TT hatch I saw about 15 baby shrimp. 12 turn out to be quite normal TT with slightly color variations and 3 where the yellow one. Thats how I think it was, because a lot of shrimp in this tank it's not 100% sure to say.

It's not from Silane.

Ellen breeds Yellow KK.

• 1 month later...

So I put one female in my black TWB tank. She got berried pretty fast:

berried.jpg

She did not drop the eggs, so for me a sign the were fertilized.

But today (about 3,5 weeks later) the eggs hatched, but so far I don't see a single shrimplet.

Congrats, It takes 2 weeks for juveniles to come out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...