Pump for Marina breeder box?

OKay, I'm pretty much out of space for more tanks to aid my projects.  So time to add more space on top of space. LOL  I know many people use Marina Breeder Boxes with great success.

Any suggestion on what pump to use for it, and how to attach it?

Also, any tips on jerryrigs to make it better, such as something over the opening to make sure shrimp don't flow over?

How many breeder boxes are you planning on running?

I use this one for my 7G TB tank which I hook up to a med breeder box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Air-Pump-16-tubing-4-suction-cups-2-air-stones-1-check-valve-a-Tees-/261396711587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdc7548a3

They use to sell this pump for $8.00 shipped. It's more than enough for a single box.

The Marina breeder box runs on an air pump. It works like an air lift tube and pumps the water into the box. It comes with a air flow adjuster to control the amount of flow you want into the box.

heh  Glad we're on the same page. :)

Now before you get too excited, the pump has been discontinued.  This pump used to be under $7 including shipping.  Now it's more money when you can find it because it isn't being produced anymore.

So there has to be a low cost replacement solution somewhere.

I like this series of submersible pumps for inline use

http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-728490-Submersible-Pump-75GPH/dp/B0018WVNX2

They have multiple outflow fitting sizes and inflow fits perfectly with 1/2 or 3/4" pvc so you can easily make a homemade sponge filter inflow.

There is also another series with comparable maximum outflow but they are adjustable, they cost about $1 more per pump

I have used these Marina boxes for years now since they came out....why do you want more flow? 

I find the females don't really like too much disturbance in the box coming from the spout, so having a bigger flow would make them uncomfortable IMO.  If I turn my flow up by mistake, my females go nuts for a few minutes till I turn it back down, so havinga high powered flow would make it like Niagara Falls inside that box.

As for the exit part, I put a small piece of mesh, fitted to the slots on each side, so its tight and won't move, then add a piece of med size pored foam (basically a small cube) cut to fit that I put behind the mesh.  This allows the water to flow back into the tank, but small baby shrimps (and escaping mothers) can't slide through the gap.  I found the gate thing that comes with the box is good for trapping Adult shrimps, but tiny babies can swim right up and over they go into the main tank. 

Monty, thanks for the tips on the gate.  I need tips like those. :)

The air pump lift I've used before.  Not too impressed with it.  It gurgles, makes noise and splashes water out of the hole.  The water pumps have adjustable knobs to allow them to be turned down to dribble a constant flow of water.  Not full force.  This is much more appealing to me.

Great suggestions.  Thanks!  A major factor to consider for me is if I had to spend $17 on each pump, my money wouldn't go very far.  I have 60+ tanks to take care of. heh  Also, the sudo is twice the price than a Marina is.

The EcoPlus Submersible Pump, 75GPH is an option, as well as the water fountain one.  Both within my price range.  I think I'll try the water fountain one first for a couple different reasons.  It's small, adjustable, only has a 53gph flow on max, and cost is right at only $3 to try.  Thanks guys!

Anyone have the best place to buy Marina boxes for the best price?  Recommended size?

make them yourself out of patio window mesh, or use what I do....plastic rug making forms, just cut them to size.

That sudo kit is basically just mesh, so do it yourself and save money. 

I can understand using the pump now, but when using more than one breeder box, that's expensive as all heck!

I agree that nozzle noise is annoying, but I have an air connector on mine as I run 3 tanks from one line, so I can adjust the flow myself, and keep it to a minimum for noise.

I have one Top fin 4 outlet pump that I use and run lines to all my tanks, with offshoot lines with connectors.  I have 8 tanks running off this one pump with plenty of flow, and I can turn this pump up or down as I want.

this is the first upgrade set for the SUDO breeder boxes; basically a mini airstone in the intake side.

SUDO-S5846_zps95401a77.jpg

It definitely smooth out the flow and and the maximum flow, it also includes a replacement grill with larger gaps on the outlet size - although this piece may not so good for shrimps as small ones will escape

This is upgrade kit #2

SUDO-S5848_zps5b326bdf.jpg

This will prevent baby shrimps from escaping.

I use both on my breeder boxes and they are certainly an upgrade over the stock parts

do you have a link for these?

this is the first upgrade set for the SUDO breeder boxes; basically a mini airstone in the intake side.

SUDO-S5846_zps95401a77.jpg

It definitely smooth out the flow and and the maximum flow, it also includes a replacement grill with larger gaps on the outlet size - although this piece may not so good for shrimps as small ones will escape

This is upgrade kit #2

SUDO-S5848_zps5b326bdf.jpg

This will prevent baby shrimps from escaping.

I use both on my breeder boxes and they are certainly an upgrade over the stock parts

They're available on eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251826651915

Used both for a while. The mesh is very good, especially for water pump modders like myself. The larger meshed surface area allow the water outflow to be even and clog less often.

Looks to be 9shipped which make it not worth it for folks considering boxes are 13$ for a large.

I was selling these a while back when I was in HK and brought a lot back. Very useful but expensive unless directly carried over.

They're available on eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251826651915

Used both for a while. The mesh is very good, especially for water pump modders like myself. The larger meshed surface area allow the water outflow to be even and clog less often.

Looks to be 9shipped which make it not worth it for folks considering boxes are 13$ for a large.

I was selling these a while back when I was in HK and brought a lot back. Very useful but expensive unless directly carried over.

Are these kits universally sized?  I don't see it specified if these are for small/med/large.........do you know what size breeder box these are for?