Hi All,

I have a 20L dirted shrimp tank that is fairly heavily planted. I was just wondering how many others have gone the dirted route, and what pros and cons might come my way?

Here is a recent pic of the tank:

DSC_0007_zps5b4665a3.jpg

And some of the shrimp:

DSC_0884_zps1b221e3a.jpg

DSC_0892_zps2d09ddd3.jpg

DSC_0134_zps7e541c4f.jpg

You could call it an alternative to ADA substrate! It's just a base layer of miracle grow organic potting soil capped with sand. This is my first dirted tank and it seems to be fine for the shrimp and great for the plants. I just wonder if there is some reason why dirted tanks don't seemed to be used as much in shrimp tanks? 

Your tank is beautiful! :)

I've only dirted planted jars and a fishbowl, none of which have had shrimp in them (yet). I would be open to trying it. I'm not sure what you'd need to do once the dirt became exhausted of nutrients. The plants might suffer and need to be supplemented since they were accustomed to a good supply, so you'd need to find ferts you felt safe applying with shrimp.

Any idea what the pH is?  I haven't used anything but aquasoil for softwater shrimp before but your tank looks great!  Are your tigers and CRS breeding or just the RCS?

I have a few tanks and a few vases with dirt substrates, none with shrimp yet though. I dirted my 20L that I'll be keeping shrimp in though. I can't think of any problems that could arise from the dirt specific to shrimp. 

MTS don't go deep enough. In a dirted tank, they only get into the cap. In my sand tanks, I only see them in the top 1/4-1/2 inch of the substrate, hence the suggestion to poke at the dirt to release the bubbles. It's easy to do, only takes seconds, and it's pretty effective without disturbing the underlying dirt.

Already did some poking into the sub and got bubbles this afternoon. No deaths so far and it was easy enough, that it will be simple to keep up with.

Currently I have berried Tigers but no babies yet that I have seen. The cherries are breeding like ...well like cherries:) I have had a berried CRS but it didn't go well, no babies but I believe the mama is still around but I could be mistaken. The pH is around 7-7.2 a bit high for my liking. I think if I could slowly buffer it down I might have a higher success rate with babies making it from berried mamas.

Soothing we chatted about using sodium bicarbonate to slowly lower it on another forum. I haven't done it yet because all of my other tanks have a lower pH than this one and have lowered a bit with time. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I think it's better to pretreat the water before adding it to the tank in order to not have parameter swings. So maybe run it through some peat and test before adding.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Soothing we chatted about using sodium bicarbonate to slowly lower it on another forum. I haven't done it yet because all of my other tanks have a lower pH than this one and have lowered a bit with time. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Sodium bicarbonate would raise pH not lowers it

Sodium bicarbonate would raise KH but shouldn't raise GH

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an older thread but I was wondering what your gh and kh measured in your dirted tank? I thought crystal shrimp needed a soil that would buffer ph because of the low kh requirement?